Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reversing lights

my reversing lights doesnt work,globs ok.any ideas?-a6 95 2.6 auto
Old 12-21-2008, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuse... or the multi-function switch on the left side of the trans.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the switch easy to repair?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Easy? No. Search the archives and you may find one guy's info and photos.

Tough to remove from the transmission, and when you re-install it, it has to be "clocked" to it's original position or it won't communicate in sync with what gear the transmission is actually placed in by the shift lever.

There are rivets in the top that you drill out. Then you remove the lid. Inside are brass contacts that get all gunky with dried grease and corrosion. These can be cleaned and regreased.

I think new they are about $400?

You can tell you have a bad switch if your right mirror doesn't dip, and at the same time, your reverse lights don't come on.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my reverse lights were from cracked wires in the hatch, contrary to populat belief
Old 12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

^^Good call, forgot about the broken wires in the hatch hinge area.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default So it's not so trivial if the switch needs adjustment...

...cleaning should be eazy though.

I had found one tread on this topic

https://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/90126.phtml

... here is the one with pictures!

https://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/2708418.phtml

very usefull! Thanks!

There may be others I will search.

However, if there is a chance of missmatching during instalation I would prefer not to touch anything. Now at least everything else seems working.
My problem is that I may need the reverse light for the inspection which is due in 3 months. I am not sure if they check reverse light in NJ, but if they do they probably won't let me pass...

<<<You can tell you have a bad switch if your right mirror doesn't dip, and at the same time, your reverse lights don't come on.>>>

That's a great tip! I will try it.
Thanks austinado!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tried it! Right mirror works on reverse. And now what? Can it still be the multifunction switch?...

I will check again the cable and bulbs. However if I move the cable the light doesn't turn on. Also both lights appear at the same time when it works - so can't be bulbs or oxidized contacts on one of them...
Old 12-23-2008, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The switch powers the right mirror dip function and the reverse lights at the same time

So if you have the right mirror working 100% of the time, and the reverse lights aren't working, you probably have a break in the wiring where the wiring flexes with the trunk hinges.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default The wiring where the wiring flexes with the trunk hinges was my first thought, as I had the same...

issue with a B4 years ago. The reason why I think on my Audi 100 it is not the cable or at least this section of the cable is that once when the reverse light came on (it does once every 50 times may be, I can of cource notice only when it is dark), while in reverse I pulled the parking brake, opened the trunk and started moving and twisting the cable. However it didn't turn off even for a moment, and it is only the reverse light that I am having trouble with.

I will check all the wiring below the covers. Hopefully I will find something there...

Thank you for your advices Austinado!

Quick Reply: reversing lights