The saga continues with leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The saga continues with leak

97A6Q2.8l 12v v6 SOHC sedan eng:AFC
Alright , had posted earlier about bad sensor that is connected/built into coolant resovior/expansion tank. So I could not get the part on weekend (RESOVIOR/coolant cap) although on Sat when I pulled into gas station(BP) to fill up, I noticed some reddish/pinkish fluid on ground. It was the coolant checked but it was still expanded and drove home watching coolant temp like a hawk. Anyway let car sit overnight and about 20 hours later checked tank (cold) and it was an inch below min mark. Temporarly added water to fill in between min and max mark. Ok so I drove to a friends house after yom kippur services (15miles) with him behind me to watch for coolant loss. Right when I parked car at his house (let sit for 1min usually; exactly when I switched ignition off there was some steam from coolant res area......popped hood and it is smokin with coolant emptying. Well waited an hour (this was at 12:30 AM today or this morning i mean) checked level which was still warm and expanded and it was below min by an inch. filled up to a cm above min mark. my guages still read fine/no overheating on dash coolant temp or achead unit ch51. Started car and drove down block and back with friend walking behind me with flashlight to observe. leaking......And yeah I tightened as much as I could/ also my coolant system has an automatic bleeder so no bleeding is required. had car running and at idle talking to friend when i noticed that the coolant guage was moving up a little more than it does. I immediately pulled over parked and shut off. Do not want the slightest chance of promoting headgasket damage. again when turned off right away without popping hood steam and coolant rushing out. He drove me home but today My friend Sam had obtained a resovior + cap for me from his connect ; total=40$ (not through dealer..under the table). going to get my car fill with water and watch coolant level like a hawk as to drive where he works(Audi dealership). If I notice it starting to overheat pull over and pray that I get there (15-20min drive possibly traffic and will carry a rag + Water deionized). I do not have any red stuff on hand but will be draining it today and refilling -18$ a gallon. I had it flushed within the year and I am going to get stuff done at TDL by Nov including all 60/90k maintanece + performance parts. So I have a bad cap and sensor; might get system static tested to check for any potential problems missed.
Brad
Playerseightball@aol.com
Old 09-16-2002, 03:40 PM

Default I think you're not moving coolant through your radiator.

I had a similar problem. Mine, engine temp OK, oil temp just above 130c, MFA lights up, I turn on heat, and it blows it's cool all over the street. Engine shows standard temperature.
I replaced the radiator fan switch, didn't fix it. You said your fans were running "more than necessary" which means the radiator temps are high. I did a very thourough flushing and cleaning with "super radiator cleaner" replaced the thermstat and waterpump and it's now fine. Maybe some clogging within the radiator, that's the only thing I can think of. But you said your oil temp around 120c (which is too high, it should really be at or below 100c) at time the radiator blows, that's less than I would expect, but still consistent with my diagnosis.
You said you had it flushed and filled a year ago, unfortunately, most places consider a flush and fill to be drain the radiator, put in some water, drain the radiator, and put in coolant. You need to liquify all the crap and drain it from the bottom of the block. Then flush it and fill it.
In any event, let us know what you find.

Jim
'97 A6qw
quattro value package
today was a pleasure
Old 09-16-2002, 07:06 PM

Default what a trip....replaced bad resovior/sensor+cap turns out to be a stuck thermostat.

ok ....drove about 20 miles...took 2and a half hours to drive there. stopped 4 times because of leaking(did not let coolant temp get past second thick line, let cool down for a few...ran engine and poured water in resovior with engine on (what a pain) to cool it down . I did not let it overheat though so my headgasket is fine. checked for symptons appears ok . but I have a stuck thermostat . And coolant needs to be flushed.
Brad
Playerseightball@aol.com
Old 09-16-2002, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't really know what's going on but here are a couple of points:

1. I agree with Wagonmann, you probably got a crappy quality flush job. Most flush jobs are poor quality.

2. Using deionized water and Audi/VW red coolant is good.

3. Flush the car yourself if you can. Pull the engine drain plug too. Us a cleaner like Prestone Super Flush and then flush the system about 4 times minimum with deionized water.

4. The thermostat has a vent hole in it but the cooling system is not self bleeding. You have two coolant vents. One in the main cooling pipe and one in the heater hose on the driver side. The vent in the cooling pipe is the one that seems to give the most benefit.

5. Getting a coolant expansion tank is no big deal in the USA. Most all the online parts dealers have them for $40.

6. When you get the timing belt done have the thermostat and water pump changed too.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:03 PM

Default Re: I don't really know what's going on but here are a couple of points:

well I am not driving it now and it was thouroughly flushed last time b/c oil light came on during last flush b/c of corrode oil sending unit wire so the flush was long at least i remember; my car needed work anyway bad seals/valve job and it was only going to get worse anyway. And will either pickup pasrts from TDL (port&polished heads, ported intake manifold, ported exhaust manifold) and get waterpump,time belt, thermostat, etc maintanence, 02s. Or get it towed to TDL (20minutes from me) and have it done there with a flush. Regardless, It is a very bad idea to drive it right now and a flush would be pointless at this point , but will do it at time of service. R&R heads = 700-750$, port&polished heads=950$ ,waterump/timeing belt, thermostat, and related = 250$, ported intake manifold = 250$, ported exhaust manifold = 285$, 02's 120$each. It is just 700$ for the job done above , not including the flush but wil do. And , for some reason, yes my system is self bleeding. I do not know why but will find out from Sam / other audi techs. So, since I am at the point where this needs to be done , will have new heads (mine needed a valve job anyway), and maintence parts done/ system flush. I will have this done by end of next week too. Because have to order my maintenece parts through my aunt (employee rate) at Audi dealer where she works in parts department.
Brad
Playerseightball@aol.com