So I bought a Concert unit on Ebay and...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I bought a Concert unit on Ebay and...

...it looks like I've been screwed.

The clerk at the post office swung a standart 14X17" padded envelope up onto the counter and "clunk". I immediately know what's inside and am pissed.

So I go to the table in the PO and open the envelope and plastic bits fall out! The radio has that loose parts sound, and the faceplate is scratched as if it took someone a few minutes with a screwdriver to figure out how to remove the radio. So much for winning an auction for $16.

Plus no radio code or VIN# in package, and seller no longer responds to email. I guess he decided to go a$$ when he didn't get enough for the auction, or the radios stolen and he just wanted to loose it. Either way I=screwed.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I do the exchange for $200 thing? Should I try to power it up and see if it still works? Will a dealership give me the code based on the stickers on the headunit? Should I just go back to Ebay and try again?

Backround info: '96 A6 QAvant w/Bose. I REALLY want to add my old Phatbox to the car, so I figured the Concert I is the easiest out. After having to put Kenwoods in my 90's, I'd rather go OEM for a while till I get the car completely sorted out.

Heybiff
Old 09-26-2006, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Screwed, but when you do fine one...

I'd love to see the link to this auction. Sure you can try powering it up, but I think it will ask for the code although I've heard strange stories that sometimes they don't.

You paid $16 + shipping and think its probably a loss. Was the seller highly rated? I'm guessing since it only went for $16 everyone else saw something to stay away. Never buy anything from someone with a 0 rating.

I got mine for $37 on Ebay with code, and I got a really good deal I think. A dealer will never give you the code without the VIN of the car it came from. I would go back to Ebay and get one with code. You can also go to car-parts.com and search junk yards - you will be able to specify the Concery head unit after searching for Radio/CD under any Audi model that had it. I've seen concerts cheap in there and many yards will ship.

As for Phatnoise, search for "phatnoise cable" in the C4 forum and you'll find my instructions on how to adapt the existing 8-pin CD changer cable in the car to phatnoise without having to also install the newer cable.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default common ebay experience

Just went through the same thing with a replacement radio that I was buying for my volvo. Seller had good feedback and even sent me an e-mail b4 the auction ended that it worked. Radio arrived without code and illegible vin. Boy, was I p*****. Best thing is to start looking for another one and not get too upset since there is nothing you can do.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

I've bought a few; 50% do not require a code.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:34 PM

Default Go through paypal and tell them the item was not as described.

Send them pictures and link them to the ebay auction. Then put it in an envelope and send it back to the seller with a tracking number and give that to paypal too.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:45 PM

Default UPDATE - UPDATE on UPDATE: Got VIN# *NOT*

However still can't get code. Called 3 dealerships and all say some version of same thing: bring in car, give up money, we *may* retrieve code. They even say this regardless of whether radio is installed in car or not. Go figure. One was prepared to give me code, but didn't have car in system, so no go.

Called back thinking I don't have my own code either, so may as well get it. They couldn't get mine, and they origionally sold and serviced the car! This radio is cursed. It must go back tyo Ebay now.

Heybiff

P.S. ASbout returning it, I didn't tell the seller I'd recieved it yet, just to buy time. I'm pretty sure PayPal has a $50 or $200 deductible. My $27 won't get much assistance. I think my only chance would be if he insured it via USPS, but no stamp or sticker points to no.

Heybiff

Um we have a slight problem, I suspected after the origional email that the VIN was not an Audi VIN, as German VINs tend to start with WPxxx ( W is the code for Germany ) and Audi VINs usually go WP0A ( VW/Audi group ). But after looking it up on Carfax I got:

VIN: JH4DC4351RS048033
Year/Make/Model: 1994 ACURA INTEGRA LS
Body Style: HATCHBACK 2 DR
Engine Type: 1.8L L4 PFI DOHC 16V
Manufactured In: JAPAN

Perhaps you got the VIN mixed up with another? Could you recheck?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: UPDATE: Got VIN#

Many times the radio get changed out. The VIN # will only match up with the original radio, so if the radio has been changed out already then the VIN # is useless.

The radio serial number is the more important number. The dealership should be able to give you the code after they removed the radio from your car and lookup the serial number. About $50.00 bucks is what they charge.

What is the serial number to your Radio??
Old 09-26-2006, 02:23 PM

Default I figured that could be case

On sticker on top: AUZ5Z6W0036939
On serial # sticker: 37813

Why, you have the hook up?

Heybiff

P.S. I've called about 10 dealership between Orlando ( where radio came from) PA and DE, and still no joy.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Link

<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch. ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%2 6satitle%3D110032472779%26fvi%3D1&amp;item=1100324 72779">Ebay clicky</a></li></ul>
Old 09-27-2006, 01:55 PM

Default i have a gamma if you want it

hey i have a gamma in almost perfect shape just no code, if you want it you can have ot for 25$ plus shipping and i will personally make sure its shipped well protected

Quick Reply: So I bought a Concert unit on Ebay and...