Transmission, Multi Finction Switch, Codes (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission, Multi Finction Switch, Codes (Long)

OK. I have been searching, reading and looking through the posts on here for the last few weeks. I am appealing to the forum for help.

A little history. I was having trouble with the Automatic Transmission on my '93 100S. It was slipping in and out of gear, hunting for the correct gear. Did a little searching on the forum and decided it would be a good idea to change the fluid and filter on the tranny. Everything went fine and filled the tranny with Synthetic Fluid.

Now the transmisssion does not seem to want to engage. The engine races and the car barely moves forward. The shift indicator works fine in Park (P), Reverse (R), Neutral(N) - but when I put the car in Drive the indicator goes back to (N). The car will move forward, but it feels like the transmission is not engaging and the speed is very slow while the RPMs go up.

If I try to put the car in 3rd gear the shift indicator goes back to (R) and if I leave it there for long the entire shift indicator lights up (PRND123) and the engine stalls. When I restart the car I am in Limp Home mode. I also noticed that the speedometer stopped working.

I read, again on the forum, that the culprit might be the Vehicle Speed Sensor. I found that, removed it, cleaned it and the contacts. Now the speedo works but I still have the same probelms outlined above.

I am now wondering if the culprit might be the Multi Function Switch. I have not had back-up lights for some time, so this points to the MFS as well.

One other thing I would like to mention. I would like to pull the codes re: this problem if I can. I cna find no clear concensus on past posts re: if this is even possible. This year and model is an OBD-I car. I woudl like to hook her up to a VAG-COM, but I do not know if OBD-I cars can pull tranny codes using the VAG-COM. I have verified that there are four wires going to the diagnostic pins, so it chould be able to talk to the VAG-COM using a 2x2 adapter, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually been successful at dougn this before I spend the money on the needed hardware and software.

If I do need to get to the MFS, does anyone have detailed instructions (perhaps with pictures) for getting to this piece of equipment would be appracited.

I said this was long. Thanks for reading this far and thanks for any help.

Tim
Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Yes you can read the '93 transmission codes with a 2x2 adaptor.

Search back on the forum and you'll find a posting by Austinado16 where he actually dismantled and repaired the multi function switch.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Link here as well.

Have a look at this post.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/63339.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/63339.phtml</a</li></ul>