wagner brakes and replacing tierod...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wagner brakes and replacing tierod...

are wagner brakes decent? had to get the front rotors replaced and those were the only ones the dealer carry for a decent price, slapped them on and they feel pretty good... (along with wagner pads) for normal driving, they are okay, no?

also, the mech said the tierods needs replacing... what does it actually do and how would it break, what would cause it, etc and where can i shop for one online (perhaps cheaper?)

Thanks in advance...
Old 12-20-2001, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: wagner brakes and replacing tierod...

Wagner, why not. I wouldn't get them for my car but I'm a older richer snob. ;-) I think I have them on my pickup truck. For most things not German I prefer NAPA parts. Wagner may make their brakes. I like the quality of NAPA parts whoever is making them. I'd avoid the Shucks (Kragen) stores, they sell cheap parts with lifetime warranties. Believe me, buying a good part that you don't need a lifetime warranty for is better. I put three lifetime warranty water pumps in my Mom's car about 15 years ago. They all lasted about 5,000 miles.

The tie rod ends are part of the front suspension / steering. They won't break and fail. Usually the "joint" just wears out from use. Typical symptom is a lot of play in the wheel as you drive, e.g. a 1/5 of a turn of "slop" in the wheel between turning left and turning right.

There is one adjustment in the rear end of Quattro cars too, there might be "tie rod" ends there too. I'd have to look it up.

Here's a link that explains how steering works.<ul><li><a href="http://www.howstuffworks.com/steering.htm">http://www.howstuffworks.com/steering.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 12-21-2001, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: wagner brakes and replacing tierod...

I put wagner brakes on my wifes SAAB, they have been on for quite some time, and they still work fine...O.K.-to good-for the money