Windows Always Have Power?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows Always Have Power?

In determining what's causing an electrical drain on my 100CS Quattro, I've noticed that the windows always have power, even when the car has been off for a awhile. The windows switch lights also seem to stay on. Any suggested fix?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2003, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default welcome to my nightmare!!!!!!!!

pekoe, check my last post, I have the same problem. I have been given a good fix but I also have another problem, cut the yellow wire to the alarm/door lock pump, that will cut the power to the windows and shut off the lights.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Re: sounds like a relay problem....

there is a relay that keeps things power up after the ignition is turned off this includes pwr windows some interior lights etc, until the doors are opened this relay stays latched....maybe someone knows of the location and specific relay I speak of?
Old 10-22-2003, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: sounds like a relay problem....

its on the drivers foot well. follow down the page to my post " battery drain" to find all info on this problem thew problem is actually tied into the alarm system
Old 10-22-2003, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If you drive an Audi, please don't cut any wires

Find the cause of the problem. Try replacing the alarm unit, or replacing the related relay. Did you try looking at the ignition switch? here is what I would try first:

1. Alarm Unit
2. Ignition switch
3. Window/ sunroof relay

Let me know!
Old 10-22-2003, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Testing for Relay failures

There are several relays you might want to check!

First check ALL your fuses (by drivers side next to door on dashboard) and ALL brakers (under hood drivers side at black box) 'Brakers=little grey metal candy size boxes'.

But does the alarm's horn sound when u lock the doors? If so then all lights should go off and windows should close, which means the Alarm Module/Antitheft Relay's are working somewhat.

If not then check this relays/modules;
(1) Test the one touch down feature by lowering the drivers window by pressing once and releasing the button, it should go down by itself. If not then Automatic Window Closing Relay is not working. Location; beahind trim on drivers footwell by the door, middle row first from left to right (J261).
(2) Next all windows should open and close silently, if cliking noise then check Power Window Module (don't skip the first step!). Location; beahind trim on drivers footwell by the door, first row from driver' seat both sides (large block) (J139).
(3) Last your alarm module... Oops, this is expensive. If light stays on at window's actuators then module could be faulty. Location; under back seat right side, next to the battery, inside a foam cover (V94).

My car was flooded badly so I persoanlly diagnosed and changed many relays, modules and brakers. The only one I haven't done is the Air Bag... I need the VAG-COM tool.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: If you drive an Audi, please don't cut any wires

my problem has been traced to the alarm... it is continually sending signal to the window/sunroof relay, keeping them active all the time and keeping the window switches lit up all the time. I cut the yellow wire as described in a past post which kills the power to the relay. I could care less if the alarm works or not so I will not replace it. in fact I will probably unplug the whole unit. my locks will still work, and windows function properly, they just won't work when you shut off the car....now I did not check the key switches in the door, and I may very well have a problem their, but I have not pulled the door panels to find out. I have read many posts on alarm problems and am assuming it is internal in the alarm, but I am still looking into it for other sources. but for now cuting the wire shut off my continual operational windows. and removed 90%of my battery drain I still get a small drain that I need to look into to verify if it is just the normal clock and radio antitheft. or something else is wrong. I beleive I also now have a bad battery.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cuting wires bad

You could just unplug the connector. Cut wire could touch body and cause a short.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Cuting wires bad

yea, cut them and stripp at least 3-6 inches of the insulation from the wires.....no just kidding, Your are right i maybe should have mentioned to tape the wires. or only cut if you have no intrest in replacing your alarm/vac pump. or unplug first to test if this is your problem. I did unplug it first to verify this would shut off mu windows and it did. so I went on to cut the wire. to get the full explanation I will recomend to search my past thread and read the posts on the yellow wire fix........I should not assume that any others will not want to replace their module. Good luck I do still bet your problem is the alarm module/vac pump
Old 10-22-2003, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: If you drive an Audi, please don't cut any wires

If you were to unplug the alarm unit, you will not have a functioning car, as the alarm unit is needed to start the vehicle. I would just get a used alarm unit, and go from there. Check out force 5 auto or autox.biz

Quick Reply: Windows Always Have Power?