Windshield washer trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield washer trouble.

Just bought a 96 A6 Quattro wagon. The windshield washer does not squirt when I pull the stalk. The wipers do come on. I determined that I was not getting power at the pump. I removed the switch, took it apart and the connections looked ok. Put it back together and reinstalled it, same behavior. Realized I should have tested the switch for continuity. Took it out again and took it apart to look at the internal wiring and put it back together. Hooked multi-meter to connections 53a and 53c and found no continuity. Activated arm for washer (i.e. pulled it) and I did get continuity. Switch seemed to be ok for the washer. But I am not 100% sure I am reading the wiring diagram correctly. So, I put switch back in and things got worse. Now wipers only work when on low or holding switch down (aka pulse). Intermittent, High and pulling for the washer do not work at all. Also when the wipers do work they do not stop correctly. For example, if you turn the switch to low, the wipers come on and when you turn the switch off the wipers just stop and they do not automatically return to the bottom of the windshield. Maybe the switch is hosed. But wondered if the relay could be the culprit. Any suggestions?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you didn't have 12v at the washer pump, then it was probably bad contacts in the switch.

The brass contacts get hazed over with a petina and stop conducting electricity. The cure is usually just cleaning the contacts.

Not sure what you've done in taking the switch apart several times, but my guess is the switch is FUBAR now. But maybe you can take it apart again and salvage it.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I may be having this same problem - where is the switch?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"...where is the switch?" As in, "Where is your windshield wiper switch?"
Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

do you have windshield washer fluid in? hahahaha, but no, it's prolly the switch.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try this....see if the hose that goes up to the washers from the tank is being pinched where...

the windshield trim surround is. I ended up pinching my hose when I took off the surround to change my cabin filter, the washers would work when the hood was up but not down, figured it out and uncrimped it. Felt both stupid and smart at the same time....
Old 12-31-2008, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Windshield washer trouble - back to square one.

Took the switch off again found that one of the spring loaded connections in the stalk had come out of place last time I put it together. I also cleaned up the connections relating to the washer with sand paper. Reinstalled, back to square one everything works accept the washer, still no power at the washer. I tested for continuity on the wire from the switch to the washer and did not have it. So I guess I am headed to the connection block that wire goes through. Didn't have time last night.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have you proved that power is getting to one side of the switch, & making it out the other side?

With the switch out of the car, you could have used an ohm meter to touch either side of the 2 contacts, and if you have a connection there, you could have moved outward to the pins on the switch assembly....jumping from the input pin to the output pin, and proved that the switch is working.

Then you could test for 12v at the switch, and if you have that, then you know that the problem is down stream from the output pin on the switch...to the washer pump.

If your car has headlight washers, it'll have 2 pumps. So I hope you haven't been chasing your tail in trying do diagnose what is simply a failed windshield washer pump......but you've been testing for power at the headlight washer pump!

The W.W. Pump faces the left inner fender. The H.L. Pump faces the nose of the car....and I believe it only works with the headlights "on."
Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes - where the bad contacts would be
Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Have you proved that power is getting to one side of the switch, & making it out the other s

I have veried that that I am getting power to and through the switch. I think I must be chasing my tail...I did not realize there were two pumps in that resy.

I will have to look for that other pump. Thanks.