Winter weather Engine heaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter weather Engine heaters

My wife drives the A6 about 3 miles to her car pool parking spot 4 days a week, so an engine heater makes good sense from an emissions point of view. Plus there is the aspect of drivers comfort.

Can a lower radiator hose engine heater work on these A6's? The thermostat is the first thing upstream, and except for the "tickler", that represents a block to circulation of warm water into the engine block.

Does anyone know if lower radiator hose heaters are effective?

The DEFA web site ( Auto heaters from Norway) information indicates that the V6 (2.7-2.8 liter etc.) are to be fitted with freeze plug heaters. No mention of alternatives.

I had fitted the lower coolant hose heater to our A6 with a 2.8 liter engine several years ago. Since the engine starts so easily in all weather, the engine heater had fallen into obscurity. Little more than an electrical plug hanging from the lower grill. Now with efficience and pollution pressing ever closer, it would be nice to apply such simple technology as preheat to the task.

Has anyone experienced good or poor engine heater applications for these Audi's?

Thanks

CalG

Any experience would be good to share.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those coolant hose heaters are useless.

I have a freeze plug heater on my 20v 90 and it works pretty good. It was an SOB to isntall though. Ask BMTHORN how he knows;-( I have it set on a timer so it starts heating the engine 2.5 hrs before I leave for work in the morning. On a 3 mile drive I can't say that coolant hose heater would even do anything.

If anything I'd take that car on some extended drives on the weekends to get it up to full operating temp. That'll allow the water vapor to heat up and exit the crankcase system.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Winter weather Engine heaters

Before I moved up here to Canada i did some research about engine block heaters. I had a freeze plug style heater in my Saab and it worked really well in MN so I thought I would do the same on the Audi. When i found out they are a pain to install i looked for an alternative. I also work in the aviation industry and on smaller general aviation planes we put heating pads on the oil sumps to pre-heat. I found a product online which is a oil sump heater that i thought would work well. However, I never bought one because i found out the apartment building that i was moving too didn't have outside electrical outlets to use such a system. I would think this would be a good way heat the oil as well as the rest of the engine.
Below is the link to the website.<ul><li><a href="http://www.wolverineheater.com/">http://www.wolverineheater.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comments well stated.

I have been satisfied with the freeze plug heaters. They work really well on inline engines if you can get one under the inlet manifold. Installation can be difficult and uncertain if access is poor. Blocked by Exhausts etc.

The oil pan heaters seem a good thing until I take a look at the oil pans. Hey! Why are these things all beat up? ;-)) with deep winter snows, and SPRING MUD SEASON, the underparts take a pretty hard beating. A stick-on heater wouldn't last one season.

I'll report back response from my wife regarding the coolant hose heater presently installed. I just discovered last night that I had set the timer to energize between 4 and 8 (16:00- 20:00)in the evening. So the car WAS stone cold in the mornings ;-) Jeesh! my Bad. What she really wants is a cabin heater so everything is nice and toasty when she sits down. Hmmm. a battery charger, an auxilliary heater and a few relays........

By the way, I have a aviation repairman's ticket , not been exercised in over tweenty years though.

regards

CalG
Old 12-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In Fairbanks, all engines have to be heated if the car is parked outside, or it will not start. Since the C4 does not have a freeze plug, I have a 150 watt strip heater for the oil pan, and 60w for tranny and battery. Use high temp RTV to attach. I am not sure where you can find them in the lower 48, but all auto parts stores in AK sell them. All the heater applicances are then plugged into a 4 outlet junction box and the low temp (blue) cord is routed out under the grill for plug in.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just called the service writer at Fairbanks Imports, they recommend 150 or 200 watt heaters. They can be found at NAPA. If they don't stock, they can order.

Yes, they can be beat up by mud and snow, but I have used them for years and only replaced two.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Comments well stated.

I was concerned about the same thing so i called the company to talk to them. I asked about the "stickability" of their heater and they said that they had only heard of one problem. I guess then send them with a really good 3M adhesive. Just food for thought
Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd expect the engine bellypan to protect everything back to the differential.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The C4 12v engine does have freeze plugs, six of them.

Someone from the 90 forum installed one on his 12v...