*sigh* this car is starting to try my patience :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *sigh* this car is starting to try my patience :(

So after getting the 'ol girl running on 5 cylinders again (found a bad flowing injector and had it cleaned/reflowed), I started to notice that I was having a sporadic misfire every now and again at idle and esp at low rpms (2k and sorts) while cruising.

I retimed it, tuned it, upped the PSI (that was for kicks, nothing else) and overall tinkered with the car... and the misfire still persisted. You can def feel it misfiring though, and hear it through the exhaust.

I decided that I probably needed to get the other 4 injectors cleaned and reflowed since I only had one redone (should have had all 5, but what have you).

Got them back from RC engineering and sure enough, one injector was flowing half what it was suppose to. Bonus! Found my problem... or did I......

So I reinstall everything and go to start the car... battery is dead. ugh. Car had been sitting for 3 weeks or so, and the battery isn't exactly a good one, so this didn't surprise me.

Jump the car the next day and she fires to life quick and easy....... and continues to misfire DAMMITTTTT!!!!!!

So I have officially ruled out a fueling issue, so I'm now onto the spark related stuff. Ordered a new set of Magnecor wires (8mm) since the wires in the car now are from the parts car. They should be in on monday or tuesday next week, so hopefully after that I can solve this damn misfire. I will also toss in a new set of plugs as well and just pray it works. I'm so sick of tinkering with this car, it's not even funny. I just want to use the damn thing and not have it f*ck with me!

And once I get it running w/o misfiring, hopefully I can figure out why my EGTs are abnormally high at higher RPMs (need to advance the timing, but from what I can tell I'm already at 38* of advance!!). I'm hitting 1400+ EGTs at cruise (3k+ rpms) when they should be around 1200 instead. Not good ladies and gents... not good at all.

So hopefully I can get this all figured out... cuz this is growing real old REAL fast!
Old 09-14-2007, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BTDT, sorta

You are doing a very fine job with the car though, keep at it. There are times when I lost faith and wanted to sell mine (like when the clutch went out). At least you have a somewhat reliable A4 to cruise around in. Ideally Id like the same thing, a reliable daily so in case my car kicks the bucket I have something to drive.

But, Im not really good at troubleshooting that kind of stuff that you are doing, unfortunately. Hopefully the wires take care of it. Even if they dont, keep at it and you will be stoked when you finally fix it
Old 09-14-2007, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

when this is all in the bag you better bring that bsh to carlisle.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes

Mark yer calendar now, Justin!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ha, my buddy almost sold the car out from under me apparently...

he was talking to a friend that said he'd cut me a check for an exorbinant amount of money... I laughed and said SOLD! He wanted a 20vt though, not the 10vt. I said, give me that $$ and I'll toss a 20vt in the car and pick up an UrQ for my 10vt

Seriously though, if he would have offered that to me in person, I probably would have sold the car right there! ANd not out of spite for the car, just that it'd be stupid to turn it down... yes, it was that good of a deal (to me at least).

Hopefully this will fix the issue, otherwise I haven't the faintest clue what's wrong. I think this will tackle it though, otherwise I might break off this "rephased" rotor and put a stock one back on and see what happens. For some reason, I don't remember this being an issue before I started messing with that stuff.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it is marked...

for graduation from grad school

I will be receiving my Diploma for my MBA that weekend, so carlisle probably won't happen.

I am hoping to get the car on the track in april and august next year, though... so maybe you guys need to go to the track to see it instead? :-P
Old 09-14-2007, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default MAN!

Well ok, graduation is important. Mark it for 2009 then, sheesh
Old 09-14-2007, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2nd
Old 09-17-2007, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default haha, gotcha...

if I still have the car. At the current rate I might sell it off to the highest bidder :-P

Though I def think the source of my misfires is due to a bad wire.

Drove it down to see my parents at their vacation condo down in Sandbridge ('bout 20 min south of where I'm at in VA Beach). Car was misfiring like an SOB drivind down there and getting me really pissed. My dad was in the parking garage when I got there (first time he's seen the car actually running mind you), and I popped the hood and started playing with wires. THe #5 plug wire came off the spark plug and was kinda rattling on top of it. So that helped, but it's still misfiring.

HOpefully the new set of plugs and wires will fix the issue... then it gets to making the timing correct. The fun NEVER ENDS!!! lol