10v turbo transplant

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10v turbo transplant

I know I am probably a heretic posting here, but one of my vehicles is a 1987 VW Quantum Syncro Wagon with the Audi 5 cyl in it. I am thinking that an engine upgrade would be pretty much like doing one on an Audi 4kq sedan. I am talking with a guy named Chris at Force 5 Auto in Hew hampshire, he says he can provide complete 10V turbo Audi 5kmotor with harness, ecu, and all related fuel pressureregualtor etc that I will need for this swap for 500 bucks plus shipping to me.

For those of you in the know ( not I ):

1. Have any of you done 5kt engine transplants into a 4kq, how has it worked out for you, how do you like it?

2. Does this seem TOO cheap for such a setup to be legit?

3. Chris seems real knowledgeable and helpful, anyone dealt with Force 5 before to give me a thumbs up or down?

4. Budget is a consideration.

I think it would be cool to have a sleeper like a turbo VW wagon AWD, but would like some opinions for those here on the forum, I value your opinions. I would appreciate any constructive criticism, advice, or feedback.

Thank you

Matt
Old 10-17-2002, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chris is great.

You can count on him. he really knows Audis and he supplies only top knotch stuff. 10V turbo engines are dirt cheap and very common, so $500 plus shipping seems quite reasonable. The big expense is installing it. if you do it yourself, it won't be too expensive but will take a long time...
Old 10-17-2002, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Chris is the man. and a half.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:02 AM

Default Re: 10v turbo transplant

Scroll down a dozen or so messages, there is a link to a very good web page that details how to do it and what parts you need.
$500 is pretty reasonable. You can buy a whole car for about that, but then you have to strip it.
I've spoken with the Force 5 guys a few times and they come across well. Never bought anything though.
I think this would be a good swap. They are a little doggy in the lower revs, but once the boost comes on (with the proper wastegate spring), yeehaw. If you have a/c, you probably will have to lose it as the compressor mounts completely wrong on the turbos to fit the 4k chassis.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

I've bought a couple of things from Chris, he's really great to deal with.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:24 PM

Default Appreciate feedback on Chris. Would like to pick your brains further as novice:

Am I correct in assuming:

The 10v conversion is doggy down low, then yee-haw. The 10v NA motor in my car now is not exactly a fireball, I am assuming even down low the 10v audi 5kT motor would be an improvement.

There is no way to keep AC? I thought I saw somwhere that this is possible on a 5kt to 4k conversion, you just have to get the right brackets, compressor, condensor, etc. Not a HUGE deal to me, but in Kansas City it is 110F in summer, a little warm and humid. AC would be a bonus.

Speaking of hard installation, Chris indicates that he will supply engine, turbo, manifolds, ecu, harness, etc. Pretty much component wise all I would need. I use a good shop here in KC, and am I correct in assuming that while this is out of my league perhaps ( time more than anything ), would it be difficult for an average shop with a lot of general experience ( not transplant but repair ) in older watercooled dubs and plenty of 4k and 5k audis over the years?

Thanks again for the info and support. Feel free to throw in any other info or opinion you feel warranted. Much appreciated. Want to do this right.
Old 10-18-2002, 03:10 AM

Default More BS

The 4kq a/c compressor goes on the passenger side. The 5kt has it on the driver's side. The 5kt also uses a different power steering pump (and Pentosin system...junk) so all the parts and brackets are different. I'm not telling you it's not possible to make a/c work, I'm telling you it's not a bolt-on. Probably pretty difficult, and will raise the cost of your conversion substantially. Plus, if your car is like mine, you will spend a lot of money on the a/c system only to have the compressor take a dump 2 weeks later, rendering the system complete garbage.

As far as the basic install, I think a competent VW/Audi shop wouldn't find this tremendously challenging.

It doesn't seem like it, but your 4kq engine does have decent torque down low. The lower compression turbo motor will actually be a little worse, but not enough to stop you from doing the swap. Maybe you can find a 5kt to drive and see how it runs first (stick version...the autobox will feel completely different). Or drive a Saab 900 from the same vintage; they act about the same.
Might ask someone in the 5k forum and see if they're close to you.
Old 10-18-2002, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somehow 2Bennet finds a way to keep the AC, they charge $500 extra if you want to keep the AC...
Old 10-18-2002, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Some info

<ul><li><a href="http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/6172/4kcstq.html">http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/6172/4kcstq.html</a</li></ul>
Old 11-11-2004, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm in KC too, did you ever get that engine swapped?

Did you end up doing it yourself or did you have someone else do it?