14 psi of boost = one HUGE $hit eating grin on my face!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 psi of boost = one HUGE $hit eating grin on my face!!!

So I took the 4k out to my buddy's place in Suffolk last night to tweak the timing and crank up the 'ol boost!

Turns out he accidentally timed it off the wrong point last time so I was only running like 26* of advance, which is a bit too low considering my other adjustments on the ECU. So we advanced it up to 38* and went to town. Car ran real well, so it was time to set up the Elec Boost controller and have some fun.

It's now cranking out about 14psi of boost, and dear lord this thing hits like a freight train at 3200 rpm! I'm sure for those with faster cars, this isn't huge, but compared to my 12v and what this car was running at with 7psi of boost or so... damn! I can compare it to the hit my dad's TT (225hp one) used to do at 3k when winding it out. It's a tame beast tame tame tame... then boom! We got power, and it's off like a raped ape (to me at least :-P)!

Needless to say though, I kept and will keep the boost at 14psi for a while. The car still isn't running QUITE right. I think I need to run an injector cleaner through the tank cuz it's hesitating at light loads. So we'll see. Worse case, I might have to pull and send the other 4 injectors off to RC engineering to have 'em flow and clean those as well.

The shot suspension and brakes def are showing themselves though. This car SQUATS like no other when the boost kicks in... Mind you though, I'm just sitting there giggling with glee. Yup, I said it... I was giggling :-P. But when slowing down from 100mph or so, it def got a lil squirrelly on me. I could feel the back end losing its grip (due to the nose dive it was doing) and waggle a lil bit. Not bad, but I could feel it doing it. I could then smell the brakes cooking!! haha. Guess these aren't quite up for the task of slowing this beast down, huh?

So that's where it sits for now. Gonna start planning the suspension overhaul me thinks... it's getting 'bout that time! Got a line on parts and sources, so it's just a matter of making the move. I'm excited needless to say!

WOulda loved to take the car into work this AM as well to do more tweaking/tuning as I drove into work, but alas, it's gonna be like 115* w/ the heat index here today, and I'm not driving a car w/o A/C in that, esp when I have one that works perfectly that has A/C
Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default II hope you aren't doing that in your home state....

I drove thru VA last Sunday, any reason why the fine citizens of that state haven't rioted on the excessive punishment given for moving violations? Speeding isn't a criminal misdemeanor in any other state I've driven in. The excessive fines and the recent loss of the right to fight them in court is simply ridiculous.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad to hear it's going well, the ride sounds like a BLAST!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default haha, yeah I was, but out in teh boonies...

and yeah, the state of virginia is f'in retarded. plain and simple. Only place i know of that can pull the $hit they're pulling and get away with it. I'm actually going to be changing my VA license back to PA at the end of august. That way I won't have to worry about dealing with any of these new retarded fines or the points/penalties that they carry with them.

Regardless, I generally keep it less than 15 over the speedlimit wherever I am (minus the tuning runs in the 4k) because it just ain't worth it in the grand scheme of things. I get my high speed fix out when I go to the track .
Old 08-08-2007, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks, and yeah... it was.

my buddy puckered a lil bit when I hit a turn at 65 (gradual left hander, but a 40mph turn), and the car was just kinda leaning and sliding. I'm not used to driving on such small squishy tires and suspension, not gonna lie to ya. THe A4 has def spoiled me :-P
Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Glad to hear you like the power, but brakes and suspension are defenitly a pre hp mods!!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ha, yeah I know...

unfortunately, I'm not practicing what I preach.

Reason the motor got put in before the suspension and brakes was due to the fact the JT motor/ECU/wiring gave me trouble sooner than I thought it would. SO motor went in before it was initially planned on.

I'll be fine for now, but will def not be tweaking with it anymore until the new uprights w/ coilovers and upgraded brakes get tossed on.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That sounds great Justin..!

Cool that you got her running well...well enough to really get a big ticket..lolol

Keep your eyes out for some springs/coilovers.. I'll look too.

Hal
Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my eyes are wide open for a set, trust me...

got a line on some B3 uprights for all 4 corners too, so I'll be upgrading that way as well.

Might dabble in the VAP coilover stuff, but not sure yet. $$ will be the decider there.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boost is good, even with CIS

I can only imagine that EFI makes things sooo much better. A bare 4ktq with CIS is alot of fun as well and holds its own to an extent.

Any updated photos?

Quick Reply: 14 psi of boost = one HUGE $hit eating grin on my face!!!