86 4kq hard/no start in frigid weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 86 4kq hard/no start in frigid weather

Weather here in northeast Indiana has been bone chilling cold the past few days. Today I wake up and need to go to the university to buy my Calculus book, and of course the vehicle of choice is the 4kq. So I go and start it, it didnt wanna do anything. I would turn the key, it would turn over and start for about a second then just die. So I thought it wasnt getting enough fuel, so I turn the key 4-5 times to just the "on" position to get the fuel pump going more.
It works, sorta, car would start for longer period, but still die. I kept at that procedure a few more times, and then put the gas pedal to the floor. Car then started with the pedal to the floor but the car would rumble and the revs were at 400-500. It was like this for about 10-15 seconds, then the revs went up. When the revs went up, I let of the gas, then immediately gassed it again, but when I did, there was a big hesitation. The revs would drop back down to about 1000, rumble, then go back up to whatever (ie 4000). After this, I let the car warm up, and everything was great. I did some errands, took some friends out, yay. Then tonight we had our company party, so I thought about taking the 4kq, but its probably a good thing I didnt. My date and I took the 85 4k. When I got home from that, I was gonna take the 4kq out to do whatever, but it didnt wanna start. Its late, and I didnt wanna mess with it anymore, plus is sooo cold.
Sorry for the late post, but any ideas what it could be? This morning, I had maybe a 1/4 of a tank of gas, my father suggested filling up, so I did, but same darn thing happened tonight.
I do have the fuel filters from PMC that I havnt installed yet. Im thinking the car isnt getting enough fuel? Perhaps changing these out would be a solution, but I dunno. These cold temps have been the only time this has happened.
Im gonna tinker with it more tomorrow. BTW, BOTH cars run the same weight oil, 10W30, so I highly doubt thats the culprit.
Help is needed, and hopefully I can figure this out with your help!
TIA

Mike
Old 01-11-2003, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default easiest thing first...

...when was the last time u put any fuel additive in it? always good to do b4 winter hits to get any moisture out of the system. hopefully this is all it is

TonyC
Old 01-12-2003, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Never used any

What kind is good to use? I just filled up with 87 octane yesterday, I dont think Ive used anything higher in either of my Audi's.
Finally got the car started this morning, did the same thing as yesterday but the throttle response was better for some reason, perhaps because its not so cold. Im gonna drive it to pick up some additives, we'll see how it goes .

Mike
Old 01-12-2003, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i usually just throw...

...stp in there. this last winter i tried the new prestone stuff. really, they are pretty much all the same.

TonyC

ps. if i was your car i would be choking on that 87 octane also
Old 01-12-2003, 08:37 AM
DBF

Default Methol Hydrate

Twice a month, put a bottle of gasline anti-freeze to a full tank. Not only does it help prevent freezing and displaces moisture, but it boosts octane marginaly. Too many fuel additives can foul plugs.

Dan
Old 01-12-2003, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default holy cow...

...twice a month !!!! once in the fall once in the spring for me
Old 01-12-2003, 07:50 PM

Default Re: 86 4kq hard/no start in frigid weather

I'm assuming you have a 2.2 in the 4kq. if you do then I would check thermo time switch for your cold start injection system. My 2.3 just went through the same deal and after much diagnosing I am at the ecu But most likely your system is not getting the proper temp reading for the ecu to kick in to cold start mode. also make sure you're grounds are all good and clean as this will mess things up a bit. HTH

Scott
Old 01-13-2003, 07:34 AM
Lane Shark

Default TundraCGT - Where is thermo time switch on 87.5's?

My 87.5 has cold start prob also, but when block heater is plugged in it starts ok. Before I would just turn key on & off a couple times(to trigger fuel pump) & I could get it to start that way.
Old 01-13-2003, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Methol Hydrate, I'm with Dan on this one,,

keep ;your fuel tank full as much as practical and alcohol in the gas to take the water out. Especially if your temperatuer is going up and down a lot,, the change in temperature gets more air into the tank where it condenses.

I had similar problems with the CIs in my fox and that helped a lot. but still had the prblem in extreme temperatues Never did solve it. but blockheater did dothe trick ( and saved gas and wear onthe engine)
Old 01-13-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Re: TundraCGT - Where is thermo time switch on 87.5's? Long!

87.5 2.3 actually does not use a thermo time switch. Instead it uses the coolant temp sensor on top of the connector at the head, it is a two pin sensor and a dual purpose sensor. If you test it with a ohm meter unplug it and put one lead to one pin and another lead to ground. The resistance should fall between 200-2500 ohms depending on temp. Do this on both pins, if one is bad then change the switch. If it is within range you then need to check the wiring. With ignition on it should give 4-5v. If you don't get it let me know and I can give you some other tests to do.HTH

Scott