'87 4k stumbles off the line; searched

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87 4k stumbles off the line; searched

My '87 4k stumbles off the line, I mean it just falls on its' face if you try to drive away "normally." If I rev it up to say 1500 or 2k and then almost slip the clutch it's fine.

If I forget to do this slamming the pedal down and going WOT cures all and it accelerates normally.

The problem seems to be slightly more pronounced once the car is up to operating temp, and maybe worse on hot days.

The fact that WOT fixes this makes the me think it's a sensor issue? Isn't the CIS-E ignoring certain inputs at WOT? Or no? For instance, maybe the 02 sensor?

My search indicated this could be the screen at the mouth of the fuel distributor, or a bad fuel distributor, or a bad pressure regulator. But if it were any of these why would it accelerate normally at WOT?

Nonetheless I'll check for the screen, that's an easy fix.

The only thing I've replaced is the temp sender in the upper water neck; this seemed to have no effect.

Any help would be appreciated. The car fires right up in the mornings and happily idles, even in the single digits. It does idle considerably worse once it's warm.......
Old 02-03-2004, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you have to work through the basics,, spark, air, fuel

Which fuel system do you have Cis E 2 or CIS-e 3?
that might some of the otherssome hints were to help you.

In the mean time verify you have proper plugs, good wires, a new cap and rotor.
I'd then check and put in a new air filter if warranted and finaly if still hving problems examine the fuel system. I'd check the system out before toying with mixture. If nothing has been tampered with there is no reason to hsve to correct mixture. Common problem areas are fuel filters and dirty injectors.
You may also hve some build up on you intake vales whihc usualy shows up as hard engine starts.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How are your injectors??
Old 02-03-2004, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

check plugs, cap, rotors, wire, fuel, injectors, air filter.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: check plugs, cap, rotor, wire, fuel, injectors, air filter.

maybe even O2 sensor!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I second that thought...

I'd start with a fresh tune up, maybe even some injector cleaner, measure out the temp sensor and O2 sensors. Also check the ground wires around the FI. Spark then fuel is my rule of thumb... Simple tests like spritzing the wires with water mist in a dark garage to look for bad wires, spraying WD-40 around vacuum lines, injectors and the air boot for leaks are quick and cheap. If you have clean spark, then its off to the FI. NCT Temp sensor, ground wire and O2 sensor are common issues with these cars. After that you can work on fuel pressure - filter is the only easy thing there. The rest is hunt and peck or requires a fuel pressure gauge and VAG tools. Good luck! Use this page out of the Bentley manual on Blau's site for some ideas on possible causes...<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiquattroparts.com/technical_tips/fuel%20injection%20troubleshoot/fuel_injection_trouble_5k.htm">http://www.audiquattroparts.com/technical_tips/fuel%20injection%20troubleshoot/fuel_injection_trouble_5k.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 02-03-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: How are your injectors??

Good question.

I wish to clarify my earlier statement: the problem does not exist when the vehicle is cold. I just drove it at lunch and realized that (I'm in such a habit of compensating for the problem I hardly notice when it *doesn't* exist). It's only once it is up to operating temp....which again pushes me toward a sensor issue, but only IMHO.

I think I have some new plug wires, might just throw them on along with some new plugs for grins... I know it needs it anyway.

The filter is a K&amp;N installed by the po. I'm sure it could stand a cleaning, but would this really cause my symptoms? Would a dirty air filter be affected by engine temp? I CAN see how a poor cap, rotor or even plug wires could change (ie expand, swell etc) once heated up.

I do appreciate all the replies so far. I've clearly got a lot to look into.

4Corners, where ya at? I'm in Durango... if you're local I'd sure love to hook up with someone who understands CIS-E (my understanding is that an '87 4k would not have CIS-E III??).

Now the gf's dd has CIS-III, and I could sure use help in that dept, too LOL.

I've reviewed Mr Mockry's page in the past while *trying* to diagnose problems on her 200...but sometimes I feel overwhelmed... it seems there are oftentimes 7 different items which could cause a given symptom. Well, at least the 200 can produce a few codes.......but I digress.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:34 AM

Default Re: '87 4k stumbles off the line - solved!

Well, after trying several misc things like new plugs, plug wires, cleaned up the severely corroded batt connection (hey, it's a long shot), I finally cured the problem: pulled the boot from fuel dist to the intake and cleaned up the plate and all the walls in there with carb cleaner (I hope carb cleaner is appropriate?). Problem 99% solved - still acts a bit funny when it's cold.