Ahh... the ring of lifter tick in my ear....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahh... the ring of lifter tick in my ear....

So with the 4kQ off the streets I fire it up at least once a week and of course when it sits, starting it is like turning on a thousand tiny jackhammers under the hood, and not just for a minute. If you let it idle there it will just continue ticking and ticking (I let it idle ~15 minutes and didnt go away). I figure I might want to consider a lifter job in my future, but again after actually driving it a bit the lifter(s) quiet out, but every cold start is boisterous. I have already removed the piston for the vac pump so rule that one out (by the way, anyone have the part number for the O ring on that? Or know where to get a blockoff plate?).

I figure if I am going to do the lifters I'll toss a cam in and play around a little bit. It probably could use a timing belt so it would be worth it to tackle that as well.

Are there any special tools needed to do hydraulic lifters? I have my bentley, just havent cracked it open yet. Any aftermarket lifters available?

I figure the bentley will also tell me how to adjust the lifters properly? I am unsure if I even need to replace em.. could just be a valve cover job and some tightening
Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a non-knocking vac pump for ya if you want ;)

as for the lifter job, it's not that hard.

You need to get the valve cover off, loosen/remove the timing belt and pull the cam. Then pop out old lifters and pop in new lifters and reassemble. No special tools, though a strong magnet might be helpful to get the lifters out... that or pliers to grab 'em.

Before installing new lifters, you need to put them into oil upside down (shiny side down) and press on them to push out any air. Let them soak for 24 hrs. This will basically prefill them w/ oil so you shouldn't get any lifter tick when the car fires back to life again.

I picked up my lifters from Joe@ axis motorsport. You can try him, and also give autohausaz.com a try. There are also others out there, but I'm blanking on the supplier at the moment.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice, very nice...

So it looks like I will go cammed here probably next month. Autohausaz has em cheap which is why i was wondering if I needed any tools. I wanted to blast and respray my valve cover as well so good timing I suppose.. Yay I get to go parts shopping!
Old 01-14-2009, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default DEI makes a really good hi-temp paint

no its not Dale Earnhardt, Inc. its Design Engineering, Inc. i picked up two cans at advance auto parts and painted my valve cover, exhaust and intake manifolds, compressor side of the turbo, cylinder head and the tube from the igloo to the turbo. i have yet to have any signs of chipping, blistering or anything like that, very pleased with the paint. if my mom hadnt stole the camera, id take a few pics for u and post them...
Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Dont want the pump but YGM
Old 01-14-2009, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a question...what weight of oil are you using and what type of oil filter??
Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

10w/40, bosch
Old 01-14-2009, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default im running 4 qts 10w30 royal purple and 1 qt Lucas oil stabilizer with a mobil 1 filter

IMHO, the lucas oil additive, despite looking JUST like 'gorilla snot' ...is one of the best lubricants ive ever used. when pouring it in, i couldnt help but to think i was pouring something like molasses into my engine, but its gooey and sticks to EVERYTHING. eliminates dry starts. it does wonders cleaning up inside the engine, i changed the oil three times with a cheaper synthetic and the lucas before it came out any other color besides black.

as for the filter, the lower the micron rating the better the filter. WIX and Mobil1 are the only two filters i trust to have a micron rating of 1, despite what the packages say.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dont you live in a cold climate?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I run 10w/40 in the winter (gets to maybe... 28* at the coldest) and 20w/50 in the summer

Quick Reply: Ahh... the ring of lifter tick in my ear....