Am I the only one spending way too much on his car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I the only one spending way too much on his car?

I paid a premium for it because it was "very clean". 20 hours of detailing later, and more in repair and upgrade costs than the purchase price, and still not done, I'm wondering if a brain scan is in order.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:45 PM

Default within the first weekend

i'd put more than 30% of what it was worth back into it
Old 05-04-2004, 07:31 PM

Default Re: within the first weekend

I paid 300 for an older audi, so far I have dropped about two grand into just the engine in the last three weeks, and I just took out a loan for fifteen hundred more dollars to put in to it. After all that (engine and exterior) ive budgeted almost another grand for the interior. I am also still deciding whether or not im going to pick up a euro light kit from Blau.

Ive justified it as so:

I like the car, from experience and everything I have heard they are great cars. I like how it looks, and will like it even more after I am finished. To me it is worth more to be original and spend a bit more into a rare and interesting car rather than join in the parade and buy a honda or an eclipse.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Money pit, and I know it

Its my hobby though, and I love it. Asking you guys for help and advice, shipping parts, receiving parts, its all apart of the game I like to play.
Ive done too much junk to my 4kq to bring it back to some sort of glory, but I want the car to look nice, be functional, and someday, be overly reliable.
Ive put 99% of my car funds into the 4kq, and 1% into the 4k.
Its just fun, but thats me

Mike
Old 05-04-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Everyone is on the same boat! Last time I checked receipts..

I think it was at ~3200 spent on my car. And it still doesnt look and run the way I want it to :/
Old 05-04-2004, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My wallet feels the pain too!
Old 05-05-2004, 02:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just don't keep track of it...it will make you feel better about it all...

Don't be like me--I write EVERYTHING down in a little black book, including every fill up of gas ($, gals, mileage). Here is a post I made a while back of where I totaled it all up. It's sickening...but I love the old girl. The good thing about my list is I didn't usually write down the cost of new parts, so that made the hit a lot smaller. But seeing all the parts listed--it's easy to add it up. :-\

--morgan<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/4000/msgs/42435.phtml">Lots of things I should never have written down...</a></li></ul>
Old 05-05-2004, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What I learned...........

trying to fix it and drive it everyday is impossible. I would fix something and than a maintaince issue would come up or visa versa. I would do the brakes and then a fuse would go or a relay. Thats why I decided to get something new for daily driving and fix up the 4kq. I don't want to run the car into the ground. I want to make it nice again. So driving it everyday had to stop. Good luck
Old 05-05-2004, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I do that too...........

It's a sickness with me. I carry my check book around with me everywhere and write where every penny goes. It does make rough to spend money on the cars but I need to know where it goes.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: within the first weekend

I second that.

These cars are not for the people who want a trouble free runner, from the get go. They can be made to be over time. We all have the older car bug.

When I first picked up the Coupe, it didnt miss a beat. Then again, it wasnt driven daily for a long time, and when I got it and started driving it every day its age kicked in. Not saying I dont love my Coupe, but a car with 300k+ km's on the clock is going to have problems. After replacing both fuel lines (going to do the return line again with steal this time), one brake line (going to change them all to stainless steal braided line) the water pump, distributor cap, rotor and plug wires. It runs strong again, but because I want to run it hard at the Autocross and driver Ed (lapping days) I want to make sure it is strong and runs without problems.

Its all a matter of looking at what we have in the proper pespective. All older cars need work. It is a fact of life, whether we are restoring a Porsche, Audi, BMW or Honda, it is going to cost us dollars in the end.

Sorry for the rant, but it is my way of thinking.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one spending way too much on his car?