Am I the only one spending way too much on his car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know I need a brain scan! However I needed one BEFORE I bought an audi!

Yup... my whole family thinks that I need a new car. However, while they all love me, few of them really understand the joy of wrapping the car around me and going like a bat our of h**l down the I-State.

I've spent a group of $$ keeping my car on the road, however that's my decision to do so.
Old 05-05-2004, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Re: I keep a log of work performed, but nothing like yours! Wow!!!
Old 05-05-2004, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Is mine the only non-money pit?

I bought mine September 1st of 2003, and since then, I've only replaced:

-1 H20 Pump
-All the belts (were destroyed when I impacted two rabbits)
-Timing belt
-Clutch throw rod and plate
-Rear KYB shocks

and..... thats it, haven't spent more than $1000 in repairs, not counting maintenance. But then again, my car only has apx 85K miles on it (the odo broke in October at 74399). I also haven't had a single repair on mine since last December.

I've had a couple minor issues, such as some white smoke, but that fixed itself (thought it was a cracked oil cooler, but that wasn't it), the engine like can't hold a steady temp, and my speedo sticks (from converting it from US spec, to Euro spec, and back). But all in all, I couldn't have asked for a more reliable daily runner. I commute for 30 minutes to and from work everyday in mine, and I also run around New Mexico in it as well.

Am I the only one who doesn't spend a lot on thier 4K?
Old 05-05-2004, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I probably have 3x the car's value put into it...

Blue Book is around $2,000 and I probably have $6,000 into it (including all the mods and fresh paint)...
Old 05-05-2004, 06:20 AM
TCP

Default wow, i'm cheap.

i have had the car for 2.5 years. driven 27000kms(16875miles). i replaced the timing belt/water pump/idler as well as cv boots and main rad hoses when i got it(preventative maintenance). and just a couple of oil changes a year and a few tune up parts. i did spend $50Cdn on 5 spark plugs though. talk about a rip off. although it does pull harder and run better since then. i see an exponential upward curve in costs as it ages but that'll be a while since it has less than 94k kms on it now.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Just don't keep track of it...it will make you feel better about it all...

I do the same thing, but when I add up all the expenses I lay out on my old car it comes out to a lot less than a monthly new car payment. I do keep a new car for trips and my wife's use though. I guess it depends on wether you see your glass as half full or half empty!
Packrat
Old 05-05-2004, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Again, I apply yankee math.

To me, a car is worth $300 a month. So you can pay a bank the much for a lease or you can invest in parts, add ons, etc. You can't see your car at its KBB.COM value otherwise you'd only fix what breaks, just like you can't see a new car's value based on purchase price since it depreciates 10-15% a year. If you keep an older car in good shape and give it some goodies, you get more grins for less bucks...
Old 05-05-2004, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i dont think i have done too bad...lol

-new 16" wheell/tire setup (e-bay find)
-new timing belt (diy)
-new water pump (diy)
-new idler pulley (diy)
-majority of vaccume lines new (diy)
-painted calipers (diy)
-ATE slotted front disks/brembo rear (diy)
-PBR metal master pads (diy)
-new tie rod ends (diy)
-Blau shift kit (diy)
-replaced broken ash tray (e-bay find)
-new exhaust from cat back
-tint
-adjustable cam gear
-new valve cover gasket (diy)
-new cap/rotor (diy)
-k&n air filter (used)
-other misc. like oil and filters

to date im at half of what i bought my car for ($1800) under 100k miles and i think all of it has been worth every penny. what has helped is that most of the work done to my car has been done in my own garage so i have cut alot of costs. though having a shop do it would have saved alot of bloddy knuckles, sore hands, and a sore back.....but wheres the fun in that?!?! i still have alot i want to do to the car like body work and re-spray, new suspension, and have the seats recovered. but that is all big money stuff that i am having to save for and is not necessarily something that needs to be done. but what can i say....money pit or not, i agree with mike(audisport) and consider my car to be my hobby. and considdering some of the other things i could be spending my money and time on, a car is a much safer bet. just my 2 cents.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Im getting on 2x the cost of it...& loving it...!

he he... my car was REAL clean... except for the $1800 in front end work..LOL all before i could title it.. ha ha... oh yea the $700 timingbelt & water pump... oops.. 2 years later... still spending & love it..! When you get the looks from a TT driver... priceless.

Hal in Annapolis
Old 05-05-2004, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have spent approx. 15 times what I paid for the car...

in upgrades. And I bought it for $1800 back in '96. You do the math.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one spending way too much on his car?