Anyone do areoquip fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone do areoquip fittings?

Anyone ever mess around with Aureoquip fittings, I really dont get how they work. Yes I know they screw together. Is there was to go from just regular fuel line to a an fitting and then work on from there?
Old 06-07-2004, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well

The AN adapter fittings are just a flared type of plumbing fitting. The fitting has one threaded end which is usually a male thread either NPT (national pipe thread) which is tapered or metric. The AN end is a flared fitting.

The hose ends are essentially made for a particular AN size. There are female ends with the same thread pitch as the AN end of the adapter and a bevel to match the flare. The actual seal is created by the flare, not the threads. This is the sealing surface. The other end of the hose end inserts into an Aeroquip hose (usually a stainless braided) and has a screw on compression type of cap which protects the end of the hose and seals it.

For example.
YOu can have a 3/8" NPT to AN-6 adapter fitting. This threads into 3/8" NPT hole and will accept any hose with an AN-6 HOse end. Hose Ends are available in assorted bends such as 90 degrees, 180 degrees.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default also,

Many times when adapting stock lines to Aeroquip fittings, the trick is often how to get the AN fitting on the Factory lead pipe or plug. Aeroquip fittings (adapters) are available in Aluminum blue or regular cad plated steel. Either of these can obviously be welded to factory parts to make a conversion to AN style lines.

Or for instance if you wanted custom water or oil lines, many times the trick is to make custom flanges with the right bolt gage. These flanges can then be tapped for whatever thread you want. In which case you need an adapter.

Chech out this link, they have pictures which might explain how the system works. You want the Reusable hose end on each end of hose. And an adapter fitting on each end to take the hose end.

Take note of the inside diameter of the hose when choosing adapter fittings. For instance with AN-6 hose(.34"). You want at least 3/8" NPT(.375") to avoid a neck down at the fitting. Be aware you can get fittings that are smaller in diameter than the hose size which could be a problem.<ul><li><a href="http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/aqp.htm">http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/aqp.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 06-07-2004, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Well

So would it just be better to tap into my gas tank and run fittings from there? and then to the whole setup like that?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would find the first point from your gas tank that has

a threaded connection of some type. From the gas tank to the pump is probably okay as you have it. If I were to run AN from anything, I would start after the pump. I can take a snap of the fuel pump setup in my car if you're interested in the way Audisport did it in their rally cars. It uses a dual Bosch pump and stock Audi parts. Most of the rail fittings are welded on AN parts to Audi parts.

Never weld on your gas tank or around it.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I would find the first point from your gas tank that has

Ya I would be really intrested to see that snap shot that you have.