A bit of a problem with starting my Coupe.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bit of a problem with starting my Coupe.

Well my Coupe has some really bizarre problems with starting it. 99% of the time it starts fine without any problems at all but some random times, for no apparent reason, it doesn't want to start at all. Turns over fine but won't start.

The only pattern I can see is that it seems very likely to have this problem if say for instance I've been driving around for a while, stop the car then try to start it up again within maybe 5 minutes. When I do this it refuses to start, but if I let the car sit for 10 or 15 minutes it starts up just fine.

I'm thinking its a problem with the fuel pump or maybe filter, but I really have no clue. This is my first car and my experience is pretty limited.

Thanks in advance for any help, it's much appreciated.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A bit of a problem with starting my Coupe.

Sounds like leaking fuel injectors. Sometimes crud builds up and they don't shut off when you turn off the ignition resulting in a flooded engine. The first thing I'd try is a bottle of injector cleaner in the gas tank.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Banned

BG44 or whatever. Not sure if thats the correct name expensive but good.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: A bit of a problem with starting my Coupe.

Oh wow that makes perfect sense, really would explain everything if thats the case. Well, I'm going to try the cleaner, I really hope that helps, it would be awesome if the fix would end up being that inexpensive. Thank you very much for the advice.

If, however, the cleaner doesn't really help, how big of a deal is it to replace or fix the injectors?

Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sort of a "Known Problem"..

Related to undhood temps, and fuel pressure.

If the fuel pressure in the injection system leak down while the motor is still warm, you can get a sort of vapor lock situation. Car will usually still start, but you have to crank for a really long time. No big deal, but people look at you funny, and it can't be good for the starter & battery...

To keep the fuel pressure high in the injection system, (for the timframe between you turning off the hot motor, and cooling it down), there are a couple of things that have to be good.

Fist, the injectors can't leak, or all the pressure is gone. Then, the check valve in the fuel pump has to still work, and if all that is good, the accumulator has to still hold pressure.

If all those things don't work, you will probalby get the 'hard to start' problem from maybe 5 minutes after stopping to maybe 20 minutes after stopping the motor.

A 'quick and dirty' fix is to wire up the cold start injector to a switch so you can 'help out' with some extra fuel when hot starting. Make sure the switch is of the type that stay on only as long as you hold it (push button?), as a little bit of 'cold start injector' when hot goes a long way!