car wont start cold ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start cold ...

I sure its the cold start injector ( I shoot a little starting fluid in starts instant ) what would usally go the sensor and which one is it ? my colant gauge on the dash has not worked all summer are these the same sensor ? any hints befor I start would be nice thanks guys ...
Old 01-19-2004, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default When this happened to mine...

I had just purchased my 4kq. My dad (chief mechanic then!) immediately thought it would be the cold start injector. Turns out mine had a broken connector in the solinoid in the starter that didn't get juice to the cold start sensor. If I recall correctly, there's a switch in the starter which allows juice to go to temp sensor on block that senses if engine is cold (closed and lets juice go to injector). Could be temp sensor not working correctly, or the connectors on the starter that won't connect the hot wire to go to the temp sensor to go to the cold start sensor. That was the last thing he thought could be bad, but it was!!

This is all I remember happening on mine. As I recall, they are not the same sensors (the coolant and this temp sensor).

--morgan
Old 01-19-2004, 05:37 AM

Default 85 4kq girl is right...

There are 3 elements to that system- the thermo-time switch (back of head, about $70), the cold start valve itself, and the starter wiring. My car simply would NOT start in the cold, but like yours, starter fluid (boy do I love that stuff!) would wake it right up. I verified that the CSV wasn't firing, and since I hadn't done my research concluded that "it must the the TTS". No joy. More research found that the starter was involved (look at the damn wires, duh!). No way was I going to replace the starter to support that function, so I bought and wired a $5 intermittant pushbutton from Radio Shack and put it in under the dash. Now I can fire the CSV at will, had have had ZERO cold start issues.

Cheap, but effective. (Just like me!)

Robert
Old 01-19-2004, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Isnt the thermo-time switch on the radiator?

I had a bad cold starting problem too, turns out it was the coolant temp sensor.

Mike
Old 01-19-2004, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

It's in the coolant flange on the head, IIRC.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hmm...ok...then whats the sensor on the bottom of the radiator?
Old 01-19-2004, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

bottom of rad is fan switch...
Old 01-19-2004, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

thank you morgan adn robert for the info I might do a porterdog fix ... for now...
Old 01-19-2004, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok, somebody enlighten me

I know the switch on the radiator controlled the cooling fan operation. It had failed on my 4cyl a while back, and the fan would turn on when the car was turned on. Dealer replaced the thermo time switch on the radiator?
Ive had the coolant temp sensor replaced on my 4kq, and thats on the side of the head (one sensor on top, one bottom).
Sorry, I guess I was told that the thermotime switch WAS the one that operated the fan

Mike
Old 01-19-2004, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The thermo-time switch operates the cold-start valve.

The fan switch operates the fan. The dealer just called it the wrong thing.

Quick Reply: car wont start cold ...