Center diff lockout, rear suspension sound, and shift linkage...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center diff lockout, rear suspension sound, and shift linkage...

Some of the major things im not sure how to fix...

First of all, My center diff doesnt lock [tested in the snow], nor does the light for it come on. I dont know the first thing about troubleshooting it, but if possible I would like to do all work myself. I dont have a lift, but can use one if absolutely need be.

Second: I had a mechanic install new cartridges in the struts, and all seemed good. He told me I would obviously need an alignment, which i didnt do for a while since i couldnt drive for legal reasons... but once in a while i would let a friend in need use it for a half a day or so. Anyway, it gradually developed a pretty loud THUNK sound when going over bumps, like something is lose.. its since gotten the alignment, but still has that sound and i cant figure out wht its comming from.

Third: Need to replace shift linkage bushings, or so i think. 1st and 2nd is difficult to find, and 3rd and 4th are easily shifted by mistake. 5th is nearly traight up.
Anything I should know before tackling this one?

I just last week got my hands on a factory repair manual, but it doesnt much explain the purpose of the procedures..

thanks in advance.
I have much more for later..
Old 06-06-2007, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First thing to check with the diff are the vaccume lines,

leaking & disconnected lines are the most common & easiest to fix problem.
If you didn't get new strut bearings when the struts were replaced thats a likly source of the noise.
One place to check for the shifter problem is the ball joint where the linkage connects to the bell housing if the socket is really loose you can't get into gear. It's a few inches behind the lower end of the speedometer cable.
The Bently manual for the 4000 is the book to get. It's pricey but worth it. I think there's one on ebay now.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: First thing to check with the diff are the vaccume lines,

Yea thats the book I got. Havent had a whole lot of time to delve into it, been using the wiring diagrams pretty much non-stop since i got it...

Strut bearings.. like in front at the top of the strut where it seats into the wheel well? I guess I didnt think it would need them since the rear doesnt steer. The mechanic didnt mention anything about it. This is what i get for taking it anywhere but an Audi garage...

The vacume lines look and work good at the dashboard end.. should I be able to get at the diff end from underneath? or am I going to have to drop the trans down? Im afraid Ill have to drop it to fix the shifting..