Changing rear Brake pads on a n '87 4kq

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing rear Brake pads on a n '87 4kq

Any special tools or anything out of the ordinary I need to know to do this? My car just failed safety inspection because the pads are supposedly too thin in the rear. I've changed numerous pads on the front of my Mustang, but never rear disc pads (especially on an AWD if that matters).

Thanks.
Dave
Old 10-14-2003, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Change your caliper bolts if you can...threads stretch.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Change your caliper bolts if you can...threads stretch.

So, is it as simple as removing caliper, pulling off pads, squeezing caliper with c-clamp, putting on new pads, replacing caliper?

thanks.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Same as any other disc brakes.

I wouldn't pad slap it unless u dont drive it much. Get the rotors turned or just replace them.

What kind of inspection did you have? Seems kind of extensive in my opinion lol. What the hell did they do, mic. the pads? hehe.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Changing rear Brake pads on a n '87 4kq

I experienced no problems doing this job.It was one of the easiest Ive done on my CGT
Old 10-14-2003, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Same as any other disc brakes.

Oops, forgot about the rotor turning. I do plan on doing this since it is my daily driver. So are the rear calipers a screw in style where I need a special tool to turn the caliper in to compress it.

thanks.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep, though depending on how rusty your stuff is, it can be a bit more tricky.

Make sure you have some penetrating catalyst spray there with you because my fronts were a bit ugly. I got new caliper bolts at Pepboys for like $.20/bolt though. Only tricky part was getting the pad to sit comfortably with that little spring/clip.

--Morgan
Old 10-14-2003, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Its recommended to turn the piston when pressing in...

when you press the pistons into the calipers its recommended to turn them while pressing back in. I got a cheap tool at Sears, some have suggested to it with channel lock pliers. New hardware (bolts etc) is a good idea...
Old 10-14-2003, 11:31 AM

Default About the inspection..

Oh, just a standard VA safety inspection. If you've got open wheels and discs they will shine a flashlight in there and eyeball the outside pad. I probably could have argued with the guy and told him to take it off and measure, but didn't want him to then take the extra time and break out the book and check every last little other item he didn't check. He was already getting annoyed that the door didn't open "smoothly" with the door handle from the outside. That and the fact that you need to hold the harness tighter up to the ignition switch while turning the key to start the car (I think i need to replace the switch, or just put in a manual starter switch (cool race car effect ).

Dave
Old 10-14-2003, 01:07 PM

Default Don't turn unless your rotors are scored.

I work with a guy who used to work at ATE/Teves; (english guy) he says that a) in England they _never_ get their rotors turned (unless they're hacked up) and b) he thinks it's a myth instilled in our society to sell more rotors and the turning service. Like 3000 mile oil changes.

Following his advice I got over 70k out of a front set of Miata discs, running Hawk HP+ pads.

Quick Reply: Changing rear Brake pads on a n '87 4kq