cold idle, just won't idle when cold ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update from yesterday.

After checking the cold start valve, I find that I am not getting any voltage to the valve, so its not firing when the engine is cold, I went through and checked all the sensors I could find which I believe are associated with the CSV and they appear correct and working.
It appease that I am not even getting voltage on the main power line which looks to be getting’s its supply of 12v from the starter solenoid ( 12v supplied to cct when you crank the engine) So there is a very slim possibility that I have a loose wire ?? ( But somehow I don’t think I am that lucky).

I cannot see any fuses associated with this part of the CCT so I’m a little puzzled where the CSV gets its power from as 99% of the time the PCM normally supplies a GNG signal.

Not having a good manual ( Hanes) I would be very grateful is someone had a Bentley and had time to scan the relevant pages so I can go forth and battle this issue over the weekend….

Failing that, if you know where the CSV gets it power from can you please point me in the direction off…

Cheers
Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, when I have some time later I will look that up for you. Glad you figured out what was going on. Now to fix it...

-Rog
Old 04-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi guy,s

Fixed the problem.

But you won,t believe what the problem was... The starter solenoid, there is a extra power tab on the solenoid which supplies power to the Cold start valve when you first start the engine, this solenoid had so much crud around it that it was causing a poor connection, after removing the starter motor and cleaning both starter and solenoid replacing the connectors power was restored to the CSV, starts and runs great now.

So if you have a cold start problem, check the Two spade connections on the starter solenoid, the one furthest from the engine should have power when you crank the engine, if you don,t there's your cold start problem.......

Thank you for your help Roger and friends.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

great work, these cars are just wild when it comes to troubleshooting. No proper manual could explain some of the things that happen to these cars.

Beleive it or not, i have had the exact same problem. What i did was put in an old 1981 Audi 5000 starter into my 87 4000. it fit, and it cranked perfectly. BUT, the solenoid only had positive and negative leads. the small black wire actually triggered the csv or the fuel pump (one of the two)and it didnt have a place to fit. I couldnt find out why my the car wouldnt start until i changed the solenoid from my old starter.

good luck with the car, treat it well and it will last a long time