Coolant reservior gave up yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant reservior gave up yesterday!

I was travelling at my usual I-state speeds/commute. About 2/3 way home I notoced my temp gauge creeping slowly up, I'm thinking... no big deal. Then I get off the I-state and I've got the dreaded blinking water warning in the center dash. An SUV goes by and points at my hood steaming.... as if I really needed someone to point it out....

I'm thinking... WHAT, DAMMIT! Knowing I just replaced the radiator/thermostat, and inspected all hosing. $ 12.00/gal red Coolant sprayed localized immediately behind the reservior, and the thing is like totally empty. I'm a bit pissed already, as I just wanted to get home from a busy day serving the needs of the sick and infirm. To add insult to injury once I cut the engine off after stopping in a safe place, the car wouldn't start again.

I was ferrying my blue car with a buddy who was driving the white car behind me, so luckily had immediate support that way. Sarah and I had driven two cars to work [for an airport trip] and my buddy was assisting me to get the 2nd car home.

Couldn't start the blue car for love or money. Gave up on it... my and my buddy went to my home, had supper and a couple of NC microbrews. I lived about 10 mins away. We'd killed an hour, then went back armed with large flashlights, and tools, and more of that stupid expensive red coolant. Filled the reservoir, and the blue car started per usual with the quick turn of the key. I had my buddy watching.... and he spotted a significant leak [translate: steady stream] from out of the reservior. I tried tightening the clamp there... however the more I tightened it, the more the fitting to the bottom hose broke. We looked at each other: "wanna just haul *** home? YUP"... and we did it.

Got it home, no further problems... However a new reservior is definately in order. I'm thinking that this is just an old age breakage. I've got one on the parts car, so now have a date with it this weekend to get stuff.

Whew!
Old 02-21-2007, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yikes! My failure was slow.

Mine developed cracks along the top edge next to the fender, so my coolant slowly steamed out of the unit. I'm surprised that mine hasn't started leaking from the bottom, thats a common area for these to break. Good thing you have a used one, parts vendors want $65-80 for them now.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think I have one, if you want it

Its not new, and not clear, but I think it holds coolant.

Hal
Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Hal, I'm going to>>>

my parts car Sat am. It's in a small j-yard 30 mins away from my home. If I've got one there, i'll be good, however if not, I'll be emailing you!