Dash light input, please.....thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash light input, please.....thanks!

I've searched the forums for help. Like many of you, my dash lights are 'Illumination-ally Challenged'. I love how my HVAC and differential/gauge cluster are red and BRIGHT. If I could get that same brightness from my dash lights, I'd be in Heaven!

The gist of my search is this; OEM bulbs are great, while the ones at your local auto supply store suck. However, the price of the OEM's is around $15, so I read.

Is there an alternative? I read a higher wattage bulb might work-is that safe? Then I read that AudiSport4000 was going to put in LED's-how did that go? I couldn't find your write up on them, sorry.

Lastly, is it hard to remove the dash to access these lights?

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!
Old 12-23-2005, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default gauge cluster removal is very easy

2 screws underneath the cluster, and 2 on the top. The top 2 are accessed under the "overhang" when you look into the cluster. Flex the dash cover out on both sides and pull off. Now there will be 2 larger screws visable on the outside of the cluster, one on each side. These ones hold the cluster to the dash. Remove all connectors for hazord lights, speedo cable, rear defroster, etc. Then the front cover with the switches will separate. Pull the whole cluster out and take a look at it from behind. You will see the lights, 1 in each top corner. They just twist out.

I only use OEM bulbs, aftermarket bulbs can scorch and destroy the concacts. I have had to replace my entire blue circuit board on the back due to the PO using crappy bulbs. The lights arn't really bright, I wished mine dimmed, but the dimmer just shuts them off. Ive tried replacing dimmer switch and light switch, im just happy they work.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't believe you need to remove the IC from the dash

If you remove the IC cover (2 screws from below as per AudiTrippin's note), then you can access the bulbs-unscrew them from the top corners of the cluster. I believe they have a light blue base.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Also, U can clean the bulb bases a bit, for better contacts.

However, since these are likely OEM, and your car is around 20 years old.... I'm thinking that you've likely got the "goody" out of the bulbs. You can try to find some in a junk yard, or buy new. What Russ said about OEM equipment/bulbs is good advice. Be careful with everything back there, if you break that flexible wiring you are up the creek.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The dealer kind of has you, for those special bulbs..

I always wondered why my dash lights were kind of dim.

Then, in a parts car, I found an intrument cluster with the PROPER bulbs in it. Obviously, the original dash lights in my car had been replaced in the past.

Ok, the proper lights may be expensive. But the special bulbs (with the lens on the end, to direct the light into the plastic diffuser) makes a BIG difference in how bright the dash ilumination is.

I'd think that if you had a BRIGHT ENOUGH led, it's work good too, as some leds have the same sort of lens arangement to aim the light..
Old 12-23-2005, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ive found the OEM bulbs to be the best

I did some experimentation with LED type bulbs a little over a year ago. Results were good, but in the end the OEM bulbs from the dealer (or online) were still the best.
Sure they are pricey, but you will only have to replace them once, more than likely.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where did you find the curcuit board.

Mine is in pretty bad shape, I'd love to find a replacement.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:01 AM

Default I'll give it a go! Thanks for everyone's responses!

Thanks & Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Where did you find the curcuit board.

I have an extra one I could part with! works fine. As far as bulbs...I pulled out the lightbar drilled holes for 8 red LEDs that shine on the cluster, but are not visable when the dash is back together. They never burn out and it looks real nice! I will post a pic if anyone is interested
Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

id like to see that pic

Quick Reply: Dash light input, please.....thanks!