digital dash, novice woudl appreciate help

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default digital dash, novice woudl appreciate help

Hey, found an intact digital dash at a local salvage yard the other day. Looks complete, has a 35 pin connector on the back. Is there any way I can apply a power source and bench test this somehow to see fi it works at all? At $20 I was willing to take the risk, but am wondering if I can apply voltage somewhere ( how much ) to a pin or something and get a main power-up. Understand I will need specific cending units to get real readings. Which brings up question #2: I was pressed for time and could only get the cluster the other day, but later this week will have time to go back and cannibalize any specific senders I need to operate the digital cluster that may be different than what is on my current 85 4kq sedan analog gauges. What senders do I need, and where can I find them? Any main brain box somewhere or anything? I will have the time to salvage some stuff if I know what to look for. Any guidance would sure be appreciated. Is there any value on the web, here, eBay for a working digital cluster by the way? Thanks for all or any help...

Matt in KC
Old 10-15-2002, 09:30 PM

Default Re: digital dash, novice woudl appreciate help

by the way, was typing fast, late, sorry for illiterate typos in prev message! Really, I'm not dyslexic....Thanks again
Old 10-16-2002, 04:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why would you want to convert TO digital? Most of us want to convert to analog.

The digi-dash that was in some 86 and all 87 model CGTs is actually a PITA for most of us, constant loose connections and other issues. Converting from digi to analog is a huge pain, you have to change out just about every sender/sensor (I'm not sure which ones). My guess is that it is even a bigger pain to go from analog to digital...
Old 10-16-2002, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Digidash=badassssh! haha I love mine... Any other good parts on that car?

I don't know much about doing a conversion... But there's one part that I could really use off that CGT... Should be an easy one... I need the the **** on the side of the seat that allows you to tilt it forward. Careful! There's a metal clip on the actual control arm that I need too. If you could grab that for me, you'd be my hero! Also, if the front reflectors are there, I'm sure theres somebody around who could use them...
Old 10-16-2002, 09:59 AM

I actually love mine too (when it's working right)...
Old 10-16-2002, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Digidash=badassssh! haha I love mine... Any other good parts on that car?

Thanks for the reply to my post, actually I was at the salvage yard today, I checked out the 86 Coupe that my dash came out of pretty thorough, and I always look for little trim bits, and the ones on both front seats that make them tilt forward were already gone. Someone either beat me to it, or they were broken already. However, there are 2 other coupes down there, next week I will be back down there and I will peep them to see if there are any good seat mechanism parts.

I did get the two ***** that adjust the recline angle, if anyone needs those.

Thanx
Matt
Old 10-16-2002, 01:27 PM

Default Story continues

I figured there had to be some sort of sending unit for the digital speedo, and sure enough, I checked on the coupe tranny and where a normal cable would screw in was a little thing looking sort of like an O2 sensor. I took it out, it is some sort of sealed unit with a shaft and gear coming out, a little nodule, and wires coming off it. I guess I found the sensor for the digi speedo. If nothing else, maybe I can get the digital speed to work, or adapt this to another project if the cluster is not worth anything intact. Speaking of this, what is a good complete 86 digital cluster worth, any ideas anyone?

Matt in KC
Old 10-17-2002, 10:22 AM

Seen them go on E-Bay for $100, but Force 5 has them for $50 IIRC, people always overpay on E-Bay.