Doing last minute mechanical work on a car before a roadtrip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 05:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Doing last minute mechanical work on a car before a roadtrip?

Does anybody else think it might be a BAD idea? Carlisle is Saturday. I'll be driving up Friday after work (I have off Friday, Cheryl doesn't). I was thinking about changing the spark plugs before the trip, but doing any kind of mechanical work the day of a long truip scares me a little. What if I strip something? Humm...maybe I should do it after work tonight and try driving it a little...thoughts? She been garaged since getting detailed on Saturday, been driving the RX-7... I don't want to anger the Audi gods...
Old 05-17-2004, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Doing last minute mechanical work on a car before a roadtrip?

I think it is a good idea to get as much done and tested ahead of time.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, but just do it by Wednesday so you can iron out any bugs by Friday!

When Scott and I did my plugs a few weekends ago, we pissed off the Audi gods and she didn't start. We changed all the vac hoses and still no starting. Finally, scraped the coil pack (my magic trick) and it was fine. Scared me for a second though!

I took mine on a 4 hour round trip this weekend. Heard some new squeals and thuds...but I'm not messing with it. If it ain't broke (yet) don't fix it!

--morgan
Old 05-17-2004, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine is garaged until friday too

I was gonna put in a new fuel pump, but am not going to, fear of something going wrong. Im just gonna leave it as it is, and take lots of tools along, just in case. Id just let it sit if I were you, you never know what can break.

Mike
Old 05-17-2004, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm constantly praying to the Audi Gods.........

I still have the struts to do which could become a real PITA. The Audi Gods struck me with the two oil leak on the filler cap and pan plug. I am scared. What can we do to please them? Maybe if we sacrifice a Honda or Toyota or something!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's better it break now, then break on the way down!

This is my fear, I fear the Gods will strike somewhere between Carlisle and CT. I am going over everything and anything. I am probably jinxing myself but I don't want to get stranded. I don't know what I'll do then.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I hear ya, but I just had a 6+ hour trip to Michigan

On Saturday, and I think my 4kq will do fine.
Picked up some nice heated quattro script seats, they will be at Carlisle for sale. Also got some free ish! (1 Borbet Type T rim, NEW Dynomax rear muffler, and an oil pan gasket).
But yeah, better it break now than carlisle, Im glad my FP relay went out before I left. I think Im all good, washed and waxed the ol car yesterday, did a halfass interior cleaning. Engine bay cleaning sometime this week. It wont be perfect, but it should be nice.

Mike
Old 05-17-2004, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Pack the trunk with lots of tools and fluids! Don't forget the Bentley and your AAA card!
Old 05-17-2004, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Offer them lots of pictures :)

Filler cap leak isnt that big of a deal. I have a few oil caps laying around, if one leaks, I just swap another one on.
The Audi Gods seem to be easy to please sometimes, cookies may work too, ya never know.

Mike
Old 05-17-2004, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My car is to neglected.............

I let it sit for about two months. Last week I drove it around for a couple of day to get some of the dust off it. I'm just going to give the interior a good vaccum and armor all and I have some foaming upholstery cleaner just to nice up the seats a little bit. The outside, I need to finish the bumper black project and then buff the whole car out. And I got those damn struts.

Quick Reply: Doing last minute mechanical work on a car before a roadtrip?