Doing some tinkering, got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing some tinkering, got some questions

87 KX w/ auto, the car is now running, and not too terribly, but pretty rich. The obvious culprit was the unplugged coolant temp sensor connector, which had been unplugged by a previous owner. I noticed the o2 sensor heater connector was also unplugged. After cleaning and plugging in the coolant temp connector, I go to turn on the car and no luck. The cylinders fire as the starter is turning the motor, but it just wont catch. I attributed this to the o2 heater connector being unplugged as well, but I can't find where it plugs into. I also have no idea if that would make a difference either, but worth a shot i guess.

Overall the car's doing significantly better than it was, especially since the new motor mounts + bracket are in. Now if I could just sort out the fuel mix.

Last thing: anybody know what these connectors go to? Theyre in a group of wires on the port side of the engine/transmission.

Thanks yall
Old 05-26-2023, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are disconnected on my vehicle too. If I recall correctly (frequently I recall incorrectly) from the Bentley, they’re for vw/audi diagnostic tools.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aw I see, thanks. Not getting my hands on any of those anytime soon.

So I assumed the problem was a faulty coolant temp sensor.. replaced with new, plugged it in, and engine still wouldn't catch. It would crank, turn over just fine, but it just gets no fuel. Next I might check the 3mm fuel ratio adjuster screw, cause I suppose the previous owner could've manually leaned out the mixture from the distributor while leaving the coolant temp sensor unplugged to make the ecu go full rich? I really have no idea, just chasing ideas at this point lol. Ohmeter read about 4.4k ohms across the connector. I've already gone through and replaced suspicious looking vac hoses and all that, but I guess a revisit to the area may be worth a shot.

I took off the pressure regulator module to take a look at the "filters" since I've been told they can get clogged. Is it alarming that I found two holes (on either side) with nothing resembling a filter? They had seals, but no filters.

Thanks yall