Door lock broken in locked and closed position!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock broken in locked and closed position!

My son went out to open the driver's door this morning and found that the lock is inoperative and the door is locked. We had the mechanic fix(yeah, right) the lock and replace the gaskets last week when it was in for a tune-up. We'll take it back to him since he casued the problem, but any ideas on how to access the lock with the door closed? I don't think the interior panel is removable with the door shut.

TIA
Old 01-30-2002, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Door lock broken in locked and closed position!

I was able to remove a rear door panel with it being closed. The rod that activates the lock should be accessable. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2002, 08:09 AM

Default hmm...I think u can take the panel off from inside

maybe a bit tricky but i think u can get it off,worth a try!?
Old 01-30-2002, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Some thoughts and instructions...

Not sure if this will help. In my '85 4000S Q, I took of the door panel slowly (there are snap ponits all around) and there is a rod that you will be able to see at the very top going horizontally across (aluminum color). It activates the locking mechanism by moving left to right. My car does have power locks/windows so it may be different. If it were me, I would go to a junk yard and "learn" first. Once you open the door, you can take the handle out by unscrewing 1 bolt on teh inside frame (be careful that it doesn't fall inside the body) and another hidden under the outside cover of the handle). Finally the handle will jiggle free.
You can get another handle. Then to keep your lock, put the key in your old handle and unscrew a little screw on the inside holding in a spring that works to return the key to the original position. Carefully take the spring out and the screw. Do not take the key out. With the key in the cylinder, the cylinder will slide out and you can put it in your new handle without loosing the ability to use your old key.

If you already knew all this sorry. If you need more help, let me know. I have done this many times in VWs.

Dimitri
Old 01-31-2002, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Slick Trick - hard to explain in words...

I had to do this very thing on my old golf with the door closed and without removing the door panel. I was able to pull the weatherstrip away from the body, from the interior, in the area where the door latch is located. You should be able to look through the crack and see the latch with a flashlight. Then take a thin regular screwdriver and push down on the little cam that keeps the latch closed. You can practice on one of the doors that's open. a little understanding of how the latch works helps too. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2002, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

thanks all! weekend project coming up