Front right CV joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front right CV joint replacement

Okay guys, for the past few months my front right CV joint on my 4000 has been on its way out. It makes alot of serious ticking when i turn. My dad just ordered me a new CV joint for $97.50. does that seem like a decent price? Anyway, i am going to begin pulling it apart this week when i get the part. I have never done this before either so i am kinda hopeing i can get a few tips.

i have alot of regular tools like socket sets and screw driver types but i am just wondering if i need anything special
Old 06-02-2012, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That's about what they should cost. Is it just the joint or the whole axle? I always do the whole axle myself, just because it's one less thing to mess with.

Special tools... You'll for sure need a 30mm socket for the axle nut, plus your favorite ball joint/tie rod puller. Hammering on them won't work and you'll just mess things up. First choice for me would be a jaw type. Last resort should be a fork as it generally tears the rubber up, but does eventually work... If you're replacing those parts anyway then it won't matter. There won't be a better time to change them if you can.

It might be possible to move the strut assemble enough to get the axle out without having to undo the top. If not you'll have to make or buy a couple of tools. One is to take a deep 22mm socket and cut the side open like this. The other is to take a deep 15mm socket and grind it so it has two tabs like this.

The only part that really sucks is getting the axle detached from the differential. You've got a bunch of socket cap bolts there and at least one, if not all, WILL strip out. Just expect that going in. If the replacement comes with new bolts, use them for sure. I would also not use an allen key to do it. Save yourself some frustration and get one that you can put on a socket wrench (or breaker bar if it comes to that). If it's the same as most other VAG models it's a 6mm head.

I can't think of anything else... It's just a lot of excavating. Wheel, brakes, hub, eventually you'll get in there far enough to get the job done. You could probably leave a lot of stuff attached to the strut assembly, but it'll actually be easier to get it all out of the way.

-Rog
Old 06-02-2012, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just did both outer cv joints and 1 rear on my 84 4KQST last week, the inner axle bolts are a 12pt Triple Square (Serated). DO NOT USE A ALLEN WRENCH! You will bugger them up for certain! Offhand I cant remember if it 6mm 12pt or 8mm 12pt but it's one of those two.

And I definitely suggest cleaning any grease out of the CV bolt heads out before taking them out too. Just makes the wrench go all the way in and get more "bite" on them.

The entire axle assembly can be removed without taking the strut out, by removing the removing the axle nut, ball joint, and inner CV bolts. The strut can be pulled away enough after that not to have to remove it completely. The axle nut is under a lot of torque, and you'll want a breaker bar available (I used and electric wrench personally).

You'll also need a a pair of c-clip pliers to take the CV joints off, and possibly a rubber mallet.

Good luck with it man, it's not to bad of a job.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1984cgtturbo
the inner axle bolts are a 12pt Triple Square
Interesting... I would say definitely verify what you have first then, as both my '85 and '84 have allen heads (checked when I wrote the above to verify the 6mm head). It's entirely possible that they've been switched out at some point. I should have checked my Fox as it's FWD like your 4000... But a quick look will tell you at any rate.

-Rog

EDIT: Just because I'm curious, after a quick search it looks like VAG used both allens and triple squares (mostly allen for earlier cars it seems), so I wouldn't be surprised if CV kits come with one or the other depending on the manufacturer. And since triple square is generally easier to work with it's probably a common retrofit. Lesson: Never assume!

Last edited by Rogviler; 06-03-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

oh man this sounds like a tough job. I hate allen wrench style bolts. they never go well for me, the bad thing about this job, is if i screw up on the car, that means my family hauler isnt on the road to get me and my sister to school. Im really tempted to get my dad to take this to the mechanic now. I guarantee i will mess up on this one.

and i believe it is the entire axle assembly. right to the transmission.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you do have the triple square bolts it's pretty hard to strip those out, so I would still do it yourself. Or if the kit comes with new bolts, since you can get them off one way or another without worrying too much.

Valuable learning experience and all that...

-Rog
Old 06-03-2012, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

i hope it comes with bolts, that way if they strip out i can just get a pair of vise grips on them or somthing, it may tear them up, but they work for me usually
Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ran in to an issue about getting this new Cv axle. I went to the local parts store I ordered it from and they told me I had to pay an additional 250$ fee instead of the $92.13 price I originally was given. Apparently I need to remove My broken axle from my car, then trade them for the new one so this company can rebuild it. It stopped me from doing this project until payday...
Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I've done that... Come up with the egregious core charge or take the part off to trade in but then not have a car to drive to the parts store. Can't win. At least you'll get the money back though.

-Rog
Old 06-30-2012, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

i was so choked! the parts store is a gazilion miles away from my home too. So i have to find someone nice enough to borow their car. Definately not taking a cab. When i come up with the difference im going grab the part right away, ive been driving the car around everywere and the clunk noises get worse and worse on the corners. the last thing i need is to be stuck on the side of the road with only one drive axle...

Quick Reply: Front right CV joint replacement