Fuel injector removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injector removal

Even with the super nice factory manual it dosen't show how to remove the injector's. It does say they pull out but doesn't show how, I just ordered the tool from snap-on and want to do this but is there any trick, do you have to remove that bar that sits over the injectors and do they just yank out with the fuel lines still attached? What is the deal with the inserts, do they remain on the head or do they pull out along with the injectors or are they thredded into the head? I also saw someone talking about using Viton o-rings. Is there a online store that sells these instead of stock rubber ones?
With 240,000 mi. I want to take them out and redo the o-rings and clean the injectors. Can they take carburator cleaner does anyone know? Thanks for any input...
Old 07-15-2003, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The holders screw into the head, I found that out
Old 07-15-2003, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Fuel injector removal

>I just ordered the tool from snap-on and want to do this but is there any trick,

Not really. In theory they should pop out almost by hand. In reality the orings holding the injectors in get super hard and make it difficult to pull them out. You may have to use a lot more force than you initially feel comfortable with.

>do you have to remove that bar that sits over the injectors and do they just yank out >with the fuel lines still attached?

They yank out with the fuel lines attached. When you use the tool to pry out the injectors you will be prying on the threaded collar of the fuel lines. That is too say, if you disconnect the lines first, you won't have anything to pry against.

>What is the deal with the inserts, do they remain on the head or do they pull out >along with the injectors or are they thredded into the head?

The brass inserts thread into the head. I only managed to get one out of the four in my car. The other three wouldn't turn even with a large amount of force so I just left them in rather than strip the threads. To remove these inserts you need a 13mm allen wrench which you'll quickly find out no one sells. I bought a 1/2" allen wrench to use but the wrench handle was too big and interfered with the intake manifold so I had to return it. What I did was buy a bolt with a 13mm head and threaded a couple nuts on the end. I then used a socket to grab the nut and used the bolt head as the allen wrench. It worked ok for the one insert that actually came out.

There is also a plastic insert that resides in the head forward of the brass insert. These are a bit tricky to remove as they become quite brittle and have a tendency to break apart and fall into the cylinder. Be very careful! I used a small pick which I then bent the tip around almost 180 degrees. By sticking in all the way in I was able to grab the plastic piece at the bottom and pull it out.

>I also saw someone talking about using Viton o-rings. Is there a online store that sells >these instead of stock rubber ones?

I got the injector seal kit from Blau. I think it was about $30 and it came with 5 brass sleeves, 5 plastic inserts, 5 green viton o-rings, and 5 smaller o-rings (for the injector tip).

>With 240,000 mi. I want to take them out and redo the o-rings and clean the >injectors. Can they take carburator cleaner does anyone know?

I used plenty of carb cleaner on the injectors and o-rings. The viton o-rings are a little hard to get on the injectors at first so I used the cleaner as a lubricant at times.

Good luck. This should really be an easy job but as we all know, working on cars nevers turns out that way.

JD
Old 07-15-2003, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Excellent post Jeff. Its a print-n-file!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I thought the inserts were 9mm. My 10 is too big, my 8 is too small!!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:45 AM

Default Also.........

Don't forget Huw's excellent tips about injectors on the link below.

Which reminds me, Huw describes a procedure to release fuel pressure in the system prior to working on the car. Rather than follow this procedure I just let the car sit for a day or two which seemed to relieve the pressure. I had no trouble with fuel spraying out but wear safety goggles if you're not sure! Gasoline in the eyeball is not fun.

BTW, my car is a 1986 4 cylinder and I'm positive that the brass inserts used a 13mm allen wrench. Perhaps it's different than your car so please double check.

JD<ul><li><a href="http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/injectors.htm">Huw's injector removal instructions</a></li></ul>
Old 07-15-2003, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Fuel injector removal-Thanks lots Jeff, very good post.

Wow, I'm going to print that post and put it in my service manual, thank you very much Jeff, you really gave a good rundown on this procedure and I appreciate it very much.... Sorry I can't buy you a beer for your help....
Old 07-15-2003, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Fuel injector removal one more question

I noticed in the manual that if you have to replace injectors they talk about either 1 or 2 piece inserts and having to buy new injectors to match. Is the stock setup a one piece unit or 2 piece? I have the 86 4000CS quatto non turbo and I think it's the CIS-E from how they list it in the service manual, I'm under the impression that I have the one piece insert but not sure. This is another concern about doing it, if I do break something like this I may get stuck having to replace all the injectors or can you still buy either one or two piece parts from non dealer parts houses?
Old 07-16-2003, 06:59 AM

Default It's 13mm.

I just did it.
I used the head of a grinded 1/2" bolt to 13mm, with 2 nuts. The head became my 13mm hex.
I used a wrench for the 1/2" nuts.
You remove by wrenching the lower nut, and thight it up by wrenching the upper nut.

BTW, I had the IM out, so I poped the lower insert pulling up with my thumb. Only one came in one piece, but you can buy all of this parts from any Transpac retail (bimmerparts.com, thepartsbin.com, etc.)

Don't forget to use all 3 o-rings (one green, one square, one really small)

Also that you need to use a removable Loctite on the upper inserts or they can come out with the vibration. You really don't want it to happen. If you look where the upper insert seats, you'll find a coolant passage. This coolant will go into you cylinder if the insert isn't all way down.

Good Luck,

CS