Fumes in cab - it's not the heater core - any ideas?......

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fumes in cab - it's not the heater core - any ideas?......

Okay, here's the deal. Last winter I noticed the heater core was leaking. I parked the car and changed it in the summer. When I changed it, I flushed the coolant, which was green, and changed over to the blue coolant. I wasn't able to get all of the green stuff out, but like 95% of it. When I start using the heat this winter, I start getting a smell in the cab, along with burning eyes, face, and a soar throat. So I realize that when I swapped the heater core previously I didn't clean the residue out of the ducts. So I pulled the core again, and sure enough, there's residue in there. So I clean it out the best I can using water (no chemicals) and alcohol to top it off. I was only able to clean it below and around where the core goes. I get it all back together and I'm still getting the burning eyes and sore throat again. Now I don't know what the hell the problem is. The only things that I can think of are, 1: because there was still a little green coolant left when I put the blue coolant in, the two combined create a chemical reaction that is toxic, and somehow the fumes are getting in the car even though the heater core is not leaking. 2: I know that the thermostat needs to be replaced, so possibly the problem is stemming from that 3: there's possibly some residue throughout the duct work that I wasn't able to clean. I'm not driving it right now. I'm planning on having the coolat professionally flushed, cleaned and refilled as a last resort. Anyone ever run into this problem before. Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you are 'burning' off the manufacturing oils etc left on the new core
Old 12-30-2008, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Never had that problem before, but......

I'd pull the heater duct system apart completely and clean every part of it. As in, the heater box, the two plastic vent pieces that lead to the dash, and the dash vents themselves. You may even clean the defroster out with some bleach water as well.

The two coolants are not to be mixed because of cooling problems, not toxicity. And, even if that were the case, the cooling system is completely sealed, there is no way for coolant to get in the cab in a properly working system.

I'd be more inclined to suspect a moust or something like that got into the ductwork somewhere..........

Tony
Old 12-30-2008, 04:57 AM

Are the blend flaps covered with foam? If so, they may have been saturated when it was leaking.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Is this problem due to elec wires burning?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe try leaving it running for a while..?

Maybe try leaving it running in the driveway for a while with the heater on high, the fan on medium and all the windows open. THat *may* 'boil off' any remaing stuff on the heater core, and may dry out any 'left behind' anifreeze.

It'll test your rad and cooling system too.. :-)
Old 12-31-2008, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There is also a product..

...by "Wynns" IIRC. Air Conditioning deodorizer...works well. Should be at your FLAPS.