Got a bogus speeding ticket today..... >:-O (long rant)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a bogus speeding ticket today..... >:-O (long rant)

I won't deny it, i technically deserved the speeding ticket. but not one that is blatantly more than the car can handle.

situation:
coming off the highway to campus. the exit ramp is essentially a huge jug handle with speed limit of 25mph. it was raining and the road was soaked. I will admit to going 10-14 over the limit.. that brings me to 35mph and a comfortable cruising speed around the road. what did i get clocked at by a rutgers officer? 46mph?!! uhhh.. my speedo never went higher than 39mph. not to mention that my car WILL NOT go over 40 around a turn such as that one, unless i'm trying to do so. Especially IN THE RAIN... it's a physical impossibility for the 23 year old audi... unless my car was drifting and sliding all over the place, which it wasn't.. it was safely going around the exit ramp

so now i have the first moving violation in my driving career (of 4 years) and i have to spend a day in court plea bargaining. (i would have done that anyway had i gotten the correct ticket of 10-14mph over)

so what i am complaining about is the lack of a good law enforcement system. i got the shaft and i cannot do anything about it besides say thank you, bend over, and may i please have another. the officer may as well said i was doing 35 over, it's my word against his.. and what's it all for? extra money for the state.

and sure i could take it to trial and argue my case, but in the end it's my word and my passengers word against an officers.. i've got a clean record, but that means **** when it comes to the law. not to mention the horrendous amount of court fees on top of it all..
so what would you do? pay extreme amounts of court fees and time and plead not guilty to prove your case and maybe get your points reduced or knocked off? of course not, you will do what everyone else does, what i will do, and what THEY want you to do, is plead guilty.. they dont care if you plea bargain or not.. hell they would probably rather that you plea bargain, it's more money for them. essentially they can take you for as much as they want since it's cheaper than proving your innocence.

i feel violated.

and in an immature fit of anger, F-you officer #3734
Old 10-21-2004, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hey...

get outta jersey... also, when we gonna meet up? what campus was it?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah we need to meet up

it was Rutgers, New Brunswick on Busch campus.. the new entrance from Rt 18.

i've been busy w/ school and getting reamed by 23yr old pigs
Old 10-21-2004, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ha! i was just their last night!

those cops are outta control! was the the really long corkscrew thing? im always around cuz i gotta few friends who go to that school and are in the building right close to the student center.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ive only had one ticket as well

My father was going to suprise my mom who was in florida, with a visit. He was gonna fly out of Indy, which is a 2 hour drive from FTW. I get a wake up call saturday morning early, his Malibu had broken down (hah). So I had to get in the Audi, pick him up halfway inbetween FTW and Indy, drop him off at the airport and drive home. So, I got in the 4k (4kq was out of commission) and headed down the highway. I still had the KM cluster in there, and was watching for cops, but I was going maybe 85. As I pass a semi I see a Maroon Camaro very close to me in my rear view mirror the lights flip on. "Shiiiiit" is my intial reaction. The cop was nice, but I dont think he believed my story, which was totally true!
End result, my father got there in time for his flight and paid for my ticket. I didnt have to go to court, I decided to try the "deferral program", which means the ticket will go off record in 4 months or so if I dont get another ticket. If I would have gotten another ticket Id have to pay the first one AND this one.
I got lucky.
Sorry to hear about your ticket though, it happens to everbody.

Mike
Old 10-22-2004, 05:57 AM

Default Well..

You know if you plead not guilty and they still give you the ticket, it will be full price with no reduction. At least thats how it is here in WA. In WA When you go to court, you have three options.

1)Argue it with the chance of dropping or not (if you lose, you dont even get it reduced)

2)Ask for reduction, but it still goes in your record. Normally, they always reduce it 35% automatically.

3)Have the officer come to court as well, and explain the conditions. Reduction as well.

Goodluck with arguing that, he did have you on radar right? I wouldnt even worry about it too much if its your first ticket.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Sick and tired of NA power"....priceless
Old 10-22-2004, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yeah i live in Silvers apartments

you should let me know next time you're up here
Old 10-22-2004, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default the problem with just paying the fine is that i still get the points...

and insurance gets jacked up to more than what you would have paid by plea bargaining it..

NJ courts are slightly different.. if you want to argue it you have to have a trial.. = lots of court fees and not worth it money wise (only morally)

reductions can happen after you get your first ticket.. not sure about the %'s

and on your first ticket you are able to plea bargain, meaning you pay about $100 a point and get it reduced to careless driving which = 0 points.

so if you're like every other NJ driver and their first moving violation, it's always for something 10mph or more because those are 2-4points, because those bring back the most money when first time offenders plea bargain it..

so i will be plea bargaining, although i am going to find out the officers mailing box at the station and write him a letter first