Guages on dash board dont light.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guages on dash board dont light.

My gauges don't light up? how can I fix that, is it wiring or a little light bulb.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Illuminating...

Originally Posted by maherbeemer
My gauges don't light up? how can I fix that, is it wiring or a little light bulb.
Are the gauges in the center console illuminated? Which model do you have? 4000 or Coupe? Digital or analog dash?

If the the center console gauges are lit, along with the HVAC panel, then I would suspect the bulbs in the instrument cluster. But, if you have digital dash (Coupe GT only), then it can be an issue more involved than just the bulbs not working.

HTH...

Ted
82 4000 4E
86 Coupe GT
90 V8 quattro
Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its an audi 4000 its just the regular analogue dash.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Center console illuminated?

Its an audi 4000 its just the regular analogue dash.
Okay, thanks that helps. So, how about those gauges in the center console are they lit? Or even the heater/ac control panel or ash tray? Any of those things lighting up?

If not...have you tried the rotary dimmer dial to see if adjusting makes any difference? (sorry to ask the obvious questions, but I don't want to give you advice based on assumptions).

Cheers,

Ted
82 4000 4E
86 Coupe GT
90 V8 quattro
Old 12-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Inline5fan
Okay, thanks that helps. So, how about those gauges in the center console are they lit? Or even the heater/ac control panel or ash tray? Any of those things lighting up?

If not...have you tried the rotary dimmer dial to see if adjusting makes any difference? (sorry to ask the obvious questions, but I don't want to give you advice based on assumptions).

Cheers,

Ted
82 4000 4E
86 Coupe GT
90 V8 quattro
Ya its not the rotary dimmer, the gauges are off as well as the heater/ac control panel and the ash tray, I also noticed the rear trunk light is off as well.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dash lights...

Ya its not the rotary dimmer, the gauges are off as well as the heater/ac control panel and the ash tray, I also noticed the rear trunk light is off as well.
Okay so you have eliminated the obvious dimmer option, which also means it is not the bulbs...because they wouldn't all be burned out. So, where does that leave us... How about checking the fuse for the instrument lighting? I am thinking that the trunk light not working is unrelated. I would guess the problem in the trunk would be more switch related or the wiring to the switch. But start with the obvious in the trunk and check the bulb. Be careful pulling the light down, as the plastic is extremely brittle.

If the fuse checks out for the illumination. I would check the headlight switch and the condition of the harness that plugs into it. Often times these harnesses and switches melt over time, as Audi did not relay the headlights and parking lights. Hence all the current runs right through that headlight switch, and with all that current comes lots of heat. Lots of heat means melted plastic harnesses and melted plastic pieces inside the switch. I have a friend that just went through this on his 87 4000 CS quattro. The previous owner tried all kinds of half a$$ed work arounds, not one of which worked for long. I ended up selling him another switch and the wire harness that plugs into it. He installed it, and all his problems went away. He now has instrument lighting and reliable exterior lighting.

Good luck. Keep me posted.

Ted
82 4000 4E
86 Coupe GT
90 V8 quattro
Old 12-19-2012, 06:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Inline5fan
Okay so you have eliminated the obvious dimmer option, which also means it is not the bulbs...because they wouldn't all be burned out. So, where does that leave us... How about checking the fuse for the instrument lighting? I am thinking that the trunk light not working is unrelated. I would guess the problem in the trunk would be more switch related or the wiring to the switch. But start with the obvious in the trunk and check the bulb. Be careful pulling the light down, as the plastic is extremely brittle.

If the fuse checks out for the illumination. I would check the headlight switch and the condition of the harness that plugs into it. Often times these harnesses and switches melt over time, as Audi did not relay the headlights and parking lights. Hence all the current runs right through that headlight switch, and with all that current comes lots of heat. Lots of heat means melted plastic harnesses and melted plastic pieces inside the switch. I have a friend that just went through this on his 87 4000 CS quattro. The previous owner tried all kinds of half a$$ed work arounds, not one of which worked for long. I ended up selling him another switch and the wire harness that plugs into it. He installed it, and all his problems went away. He now has instrument lighting and reliable exterior lighting.

Good luck. Keep me posted.

Ted
82 4000 4E
86 Coupe GT
90 V8 quattro
I already checked the fuse box, but I will do that again. AS for the trunk I think it could be the bulb. I don't know about that switch I removed the cluster the other day and its in pretty good shape. I will check again.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its not the fuse, the cluster is lit up, still no lights for the trunk gauges and heater / ac panel?
Old 12-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Today I found out that when I touch the metal part that is holding the light bulb in the trunk with the metal of the car it turns on??? but as soon as I don't touch the metal to metal it would turn off...any ideas? also my gauges still don't light????
Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I fixed the gauges and heater lights I found out all the light bulbs were burnt out I guess it was due to age.