Has NE1 had a ood experiance with a coolant additive that fixes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has NE1 had a ood experiance with a coolant additive that fixes

head gasket leaks? I ask because I need to do something about my daily driver ('97 Riviera)that is blowing white smoke, without spending a ton of money looking into the real problem. A short term fix untill I get the 4KQ out of storage and into winter service again. The Riv will go up for sale as soon as I find a good replacement for her. The 4KQ will NEVER be sold!
TIA Ray
Old 09-13-2007, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I tried some BG stuff recently...

BG Universal Cooling System Sealer is safe for all cooling systems and rinses out completely when you do a flush. In my situation, it only worked for a couple of days but due to the circumstances, I'm amazed that it worked at all. The shaft on my water pump was leaking and it stopped it completely for about three days. This is pretty amazing since the shaft is constantly spinning and after pulling the water pump, I found that it had somewhere between 1/16" and 1/8" of slop. If this stuff can bridge that kind of gap on moving componenets, I would bet it will do an even better job on static components like your head gasket. Plus it's only $10-15.00/bottle.

On a side note, after swapping out the water pump, my car has never been quieter. I was very suprised by how much noise the bad pump was making.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bgprod.com/products/coolingsystem.html">http://www.bgprod.com/products/coolingsystem.html</a</li></ul>
Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 AM

Default Thanks, I guess it can't hurt a 10 YO buick and It might help.

strange thing is, now that I have resighned myself to a head gasket failure I took the old girl out for a spin, after about two minutes of huge clouds of white smoke at idle it cleared right up when driving at any speed, heater works, no misfires, like a new car. Just the threat of selling her after 10 years of dedicated service may have scared her straight!! I'll drop some BG in just in case.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i have used and recommend..................

a specific additive for the engine block and heads. i believe it is mane by "bar-s". it's available at most parts stores and i've even seen it at walmart. it's in a small gray/silver bottle and says something like "block sealant" on it. i checked to see if i had a bottle around to get the info off it for you. maybe i'll get over to the parts store and checnk the specifics for you if you'd like.

it's a little harder to use then a general "stop leak" additive since it's supposed to stop leaks in blocks and heads. i can't remembre the exact directions, but it made you drain you coolant once or twice and it has to sit for a while.

we used it on a freinds car to stop a head leak. it worked great. it never leaked again. he had it for a year or so after we did it.