Head Gasket help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket help

I posted a thread a couple of daysago and you guys are awesome about helping out. I still have an over-heating problem as I did in the previous thread, but now I have people telling me it is a head gasket, and others telling me it's the oil I'm using. They said that these cars are picky about running light oil in them. I run 5w30. Am I beating my head against the wall or am I going to have to change the head gasket? I pulled all 5 plug and the three inners were perfect and the two ends were running alittle on the white side. I'm new to this and need as much help as I can get. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2002, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Head Gasket help

Isn't the oil. I just changed it with 20W50 and no change. No water in the oil either. I took it down an exit on the highway with the A/C going and half way down it jumps to hot. I pull off the exit and boom, it's boiling over. Now its got brown particals all thru it and the waters kinda milky. I can't see it being a head gasket because it doesn't show the signs (miss, smoke, water in the oil) nothing. Somebody tell me this has happened to them and you know whats wrong. This is my only car and I'm not a millionare. Somebody help!!
Old 06-22-2002, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Head Gasket help

You may not have water in the oil but it sure sounds like you have oil in the water. That pretty much has to be a failed head gasket. If it's your only car, I wouldn't risk not changing it. That is, before more damage is done.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

FLAGREEN, where in florida are you?
Old 06-22-2002, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: FLAGREEN, where in florida are you?

St. Petersburg - You?
Old 06-23-2002, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ft. lauderdale
Old 06-23-2002, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Head Gasket?

Get a compression gauge and do a compression check. That should tell you.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:18 AM

Default Cooling system

You do have a thermostat in the system, right? This is important to control water flow at speed. At higher revs, the thermostat slows the water down so it spends enough time in the radiator to cool down. If you don't trust you thermostat, take and old one and cut the center valve out of it. This will allow flow all of the time but still restrict flow at high engine speeds. It will take longer to warm up if you do this.

Is you radiator flowing properly?? is may be all clogged up. BEfore a head gasket, it will be much easier to pull the rad and get it boiled out at a rad shop.

As far as a blown headgasket causing overheating, I'm not sure about that. You cooling system should be able to keep the water cool regardless.

A blown headgasket will usually put water in the oil or use up the water and after the system loses water, it overheats. Are you losing water? It doesn't sound like it.

Work thru the system, check everything. Make sure it has no air in it by bleeding it at the highest hose connection when filling.

Good luck

Jon
Old 06-23-2002, 11:09 AM

Default It BLEW!

I thought I would give it the old college try and flush the system again and take it out for a spin. I got about 1500 yards and the RPMs dropped and it won't accelerate and barely stays running. I pulled the dip stick and it has a real putrid smell. So no more Quantum! I'm going back to American muscle if I put a head gasket on it and it isnt it.!!
Old 06-23-2002, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: It BLEW!

Be sure to check that the head isn't warped. If you have the time and $ it wouldn't hurt to take the head to a machine shop and have it checked out completely to be sure it isn't warped and in particular to have it magnafluxed. I got a complete valve job on my son's 1.7L 4 cyl for less than $200.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket help