Head Swap Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 07:12 AM
DBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Swap Stuff

I'm getting a list together of the items I'll need for the impending head swap. I have decided to use the rebuilt head that I have in the shop. It has new exhaust manifold studs in place and I have a brand new exhaust manifold. I already have a new t-belt.
So, what I have come up with is:
1.Head, exhaust/intake manifold gaskets
2.Triple square
3.nuts and washers for ex. manifold
4.bolts for intake manifold
5.water pump and gasket
6.tensioner
7.head bolts and washers
8.cam cover gasket
9.front cam seal
10.distributer seal
11.Bolts, nuts, washers and gasket for the exhaust manifold/downpipe
Is there anything I have missed? I will prolly do a complete cooling system flush once I have her opened up so a new thermostat w/gasket will more than likely be added to the list. What kind of coolant should be used?
As a side, I'm pondering taking the head to a local rebuilder and have them check it out. I'm leery of faulty valve stem seals, as that is one of the major reasons I'm doing this swap. Well, that and the fact the rebuilt head has been shaved with a 3 angle grind. I suspect there will be a certain increase in HP as well. For the sake of a couple of bucks, I could get them to change the seals while it's there.
Any thoughts?

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-04-2004, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Head Swap Stuff

Good list, add on a thermostat too, just for safe measures. Someday I'll embark on taking the head off a car of my own...

Mike
Old 01-04-2004, 10:18 AM
DBF

Default Well now.....

....I was just out tinkering on the rebuilt head and I noticed something very peculiar. The head on the car is a 'notch back' and the one on the bench isn't. Now, I've heard of these notch backs (the distributor housing sticks off the back of the head, whereas, a `normal' I5 has the distributor orifice flush with the back of the head) before but never paid much attention because I thought it was for later, higher compression engines. I think I might have a problem with the cam cover, I doubt if it will fit the rebuilt. What to do now? Seeing as I live in an area that is devoid of many old school Audi's, should I then just replace the valve stem seals in the car and hope to find a proper cam cover later? This sucks, 2 steps forward and one step back. Story of my life I guess. ddg, any hints regarding the old WE?

Dan
Old 01-04-2004, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 1 other item

its helpful to have a couple of long bolts cut to a stud with the same threads as the head bolts to help line up the head gasket and the head onto the block. once you get the parts stacked take them out and put in the standard head bolts.