Headlight problems on the urq. Any BTDT's?...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight problems on the urq. Any BTDT's?...

well i spent a little time today trying to figure out my headlight problem. To get everyone up to speed, I sort of lost my low beams. They're on but almost like they are in city mode (which I have never had) with high beams fine. everything seems to be working fine until today. The virus had climbed into the switch that engages the lights from low to high beam. I didn't get the "click" that would suggest the beam has been changed. By pressing on the lever hard enough I could get high beams to engage but not to stay engaged. This suggest that the high beam switch part # 855 953 819 B which is the wiper switch or 855 953 513 which is the actual turn signal lever are not doing their job. As I pulled the high beam switch toward me a small "crack" let lose and a small piece of plastic popped out. Not sure if its a stop of some sort for the high beam lever or what but I'm guessing I'm gonna have to pull the steering wheel and check it out. Any BTDT's? both myself and other agree that a faulty ground couldn't take both low beams out at the same time seeing as they are ground individually. My second guess was a relay until the whole engaging the high beams problem happened now I'm focusing on the switches in the steering wheel.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default definitely the switch.

a bad dimmer switch absolutely could rob voltage from the lows. relay the lights while you're at it, if you haven't already.<ul><li><a href="http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html">best headlight relay article on the intarweb.</a></li></ul>
Old 04-27-2005, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It is not the relay, you don't have one

I suspect that the small part that fell out is the "pawl" which operates the switch. First thing is to get a cvicuit tester and see where you are getting power at the wires exiting the switch. If the pawl I mentioned is gone you will not have high beams (or if you have highs, you won't be able to get lows). This means that you will need a new activator, I am trying to remember which lever this is attached too and not having much luck. I haven't checked ETKA, but I assume it is the same as pre '85 4000.

I think you have other problems in your wiring. I just had a similar disappearing light in my 16V Scirocco. The answer is relays rather than trying to find the gremlin in the wiring. If one side is operating properly (highs and lows) you can tap in near the headlights to trigger the relays. Otherwise, wire back to the dimmer switch at the steering column.

For info on relaying go here:http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/headlight-simple.htm (link below)

For equipment, I recommend the relays used on GM cars, they are made by Hella and are extraordinarily weather proof. If you get them in a junkyard they will come with an excelent mounting bracket. I got mine off an '88 Buick. For headlight terminals, I recommend Cole-Hersee. Non-franchise auto parts stores can probably get them. Pep Boys won't know what you are talking about.<ul><li><a href="http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/headlight-simple.htm">http://www.humanspeakers.com/audi/headlight-simple.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 04-28-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Pretty sure its the headlight switch...

I am not sure about the newly developed high beam switch malfunctioning, but a couple of months ago, my headlight switch went bad and I totally lost my low beams, but high beams would still work great when I pulled the lever towards me. It was super hard to find a switch for an 84', the dealer didnt have it, and none of my mechanic hook-ups could order one, they had all been discontinued (probly wasn't looking in all the right spots) but finally was able to get one from a junk yard to save the day. but anyways, you can check to see if your headlight switch is bad by wiggling the switch out of the dash (I am assuming that your car is 84' or earlier based on the bumper in your airbrush sketch...) and then use a wire with two horseshoe connectors to try and activate the low beams. I dont remember which of the elctrical 'openings' on the recieving end connects to the headlights and not your dash dimmers, but I think they were towards the top, you can track them though if you investigate the make up of the switch. If you connect the right openings together, your lights should work... I hope this helps you man! If any of that didnt make total sense guys, please send changes... and then tell me im a moron...
Old 04-28-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed...switch.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Re: Thanks guys, Issue would be easiler if the po left the original lights but they're H4's.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

yikes. definitely relay them while you're at it, in that case.