HELP!!! Ignition switch replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Ignition switch replacement.

OK, i have just moved, and all my repair manuals are still packed in boxes, i was hoping that someone could show me pics, and give me a walkthrough on how to replace the Ignition Swtitch. Im not replacing the tumbler, its still good, i just dont know how to get out the old switch. Any help would be apreciated, but pictures and directions would be most wanted.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:19 PM

Default Hpoe your handy!! (long)

On a 4000S it's easy...sorta...well not really. First be sure it's the switch, not the tab on the tumbler...mine cracked and caused alot of trouble. Here's the procedure...
Take off the lower paneling under the steering wheel...the piece with the cubbyhole on the left. Next disassemble the steering column. Take the horn button off by pulling hard...don't worry about the broken tabs...they may break...audi has them. Next mark the steering wheel in relation to the shaft for easy assembly. Take the nut off 22mm I think. Withdraw the wheel. Take the plastic cover off from below the column, the top one is tricky though...wait until later on to get it off. Next take the 3 glod screws out retaining the blinker/windshield wiper switch assy. There are 4 (Ithink) electrical plugs on that assy...two on the bottom one that goes to a white multi plug on the lower left, and one hidden behind the top plastic piece...this last one is for headlights so be careful not to damage it as it is rather difficult to get out. Remove the whole assy. Now it gets fun. You should see a coiled spring being held on with 2 lockwasher type parts. I highly suggest cutting them off, but get new ones from audi first. If you decide to pry them off Beware, you can damage the column, and it is hard. Keep note of disassembly procedure with detailed notes. Once that is off, remove the multi plug going into the ign switch itself...pull hard. now you are ready to remove the housing...mark the column with a marker so you know how far to push it on during assembly. Remove the 2 (?) 8mm allen screws from below the housing on the left side. The Whole housing then pulls fwd off the column. The switch is held in by a philips screw...undo it...as i said earlier, BE SURE the tab on the end of the tumbler isn't cracked OR bent!!!! I did this 2x and spent $50 more than I had to due to the bent tab. replace the switch ( I have a good aftermarket one for $25) Assembly is reverse of this...with a couple notes...Make sure the column is seated securely in the coupler over the pedals...it's got 2 pegs...you'll see it. I greased everything that rubs, and used dielectric grease on the elec connectors. Make sure to get the elec plug on the top left on tightly, as this is highbeam/headlight function...sorta important. Align everything just right...I disassembled and reassembled many times to do this. Also those darn lockwashers and spring are a bitch!! I placed them on the shaft, then cut a piece of pipe that went over the shaft and rested on them, leaving 2-3 threads in view. Then I put the steering wheel nut on and tightened it to force them on the shaft as far as the threads go. Then I measured the dist from the washers to the end and cut another one to get it down to distance. I suggest getting another nut cause this may F*** that one up. Whew...I think that's it...any other Q's email me @ unipurify@earthlink.net.
Sorry I am not pic capable right now...just words. Email me for PH # and maybe we can walk through it on phone. Note this is the procedure for 4ks FWD it may differ a little on your car
Old 07-09-2003, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Hpoe your handy!! (long)

heh! sweet, My e-mail is Gh0sTly4k@yahoo.com if you want you can e-mail me your # and i prolly will call ya. the car im actualy doin it on is my Coupe GT(fwd) im betting its identical to the 4000 fwd. ive already got the new switch, $20 at the local autostore(AutoZone) I hope i dont have to replace my tumbler, cause i wanna keep my single key to the car, and ive still got the original too. If worse comes to worse, i may pay a locksmith to put the old tubler into the new housing w/ the new tab(if its broke.) but yeah, e-mail me and ill most likely call ya, cause my repair manuals are still packed away, so ima need some help. Thanks!