HELP! Replaced H2O pump, belt, seal, idler and oil seal. Leaks oil like a sieve! Haynes is no help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Replaced H2O pump, belt, seal, idler and oil seal. Leaks oil like a sieve! Haynes is no help!

I did not remove the oil pump to get the old front main oil seal out; I used a small, very sharp particle board screw (just a needle sharp wood screw) attached to my dent puller to pop the old one out. I was *very* careful not to scratch the crank.

I started the car with just the timing belt, lower cover and main pully/balancer reinstalled. I kept the electrical going with a small charger (none of the accessory belts were installed.

Almost immediately after the engine settled down, oil began to drip from the general vicinity of the main seal. Oddly, the new timing belt stayed clean.

I grudgingly removed the belt and pulley to get a better look and as far as I can tell, it's leaking from the seal.

I seem to remember that there's a bolt hole somewhere down there that actually goes into an oil journal, but I don't think I disturbed it (didn't take the oil pump or pan off). Any ideas?

I had some difficulty getting the seal in deep enough and square; it's maybe a milimeter or two set below the oil pump face and the seal lip itself just *BARELY* clears the timing belt gear notch.

How far in should the seal be set?

How far can I go before I've gone too far (in trying to find a fresher spot on the crank)?

What the heck do you use to set the seal in properly? I'm sure there's an Audi tool that I can't afford... Any other suggestions?

Is there any other place down there it could be leaking from?

Words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Doug
Old 10-21-2003, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I used a big socket to seat the seal.

I gently tapped it in w/ a lead hammer.
If you didn't remove the oil pump, then it sounds like your new seal is leaking.
I've also had the same problem with the pump leaking when I forgot to replace one of the bolts!
Old 10-21-2003, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default There's at least one lower timing cover bolt that passes through an oil galley...

that could be your source too.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ??? The lower timing cover/bolts wasn't even ON my car. The holes were full of gunk.

Now I'm cornfused. Though most of the oil seemed to be coming from the right (passenger side)of the oil seal. I just assumed the oil was being slinged (or slung?) that way.

Are you refering to the lower timing cover (2 bolts hold it on that I know of) or the cover behind the belts/pulleys?

Phreon