help!!!! replacing rear shocks on 84 cgt.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!!!! replacing rear shocks on 84 cgt.........

i'm having trouble with the right side. i can't get the nut off. any ideas?

more importantly, the old shock off the left side does not match the new one. they are the same in every way except the placement of the spring support. the new one is about 1"-1/2" higher than the old one. does this matter? can i just compress the springs more and install them? they are exactly the same otherwise. the brands are different, though. did they send me the wrong shocks or what?

i really don't want to have to return and reorder. what a pain! they took a couple weeks to get in the first place.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: help!!!! replacing rear shocks on 84 cgt.........

Did the nut strip inside the axle tube, or is it just not budging? If the later, use a bit of heat on the nut.

BTW, quite often on these older front drive Audi's and VW's the problem is actually the bolt being rusted into the metal spacer in the bottom of the shock. If that's the case, spray some penentrant on it and let it sit for a day or so. But, you may very well need an impact wrench in the end. Worst case scenario requires cutting both ends off the bolt and bending the mounting point out a bit to slip the whole mess past. BTDT, no fun at all!! hope it's not that bad.

Tony Hoffman
Old 10-28-2007, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: help!!!! replacing rear shocks on 84 cgt.........

Oh, and if the spring perch is 1.5" higher, so will your car be when done. I'd say they gave you the wrong ones.

Tony Hoffman
Old 10-28-2007, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of shock did you get? You can probably search & find the applicaton

if you use the part #. The ones on the car now might be wrong
Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default there's no room for air tools.....................

the fuel tank fill tube , deck lid, and sunroof holder is all in the way. i can get a wrench on it and have it most the way off. now the piston that the nut screws onto is just turning. i had a vise-grip on it at the top (the little square part they give you to hold the piston)but it's stripped. i can't get a nut splitter on it. you can't get in there with anything to cut it. i guess i'll have to figure something out.

i just thought some other cgt owners might have a trick for me.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i've checked everything and it is the right part..........

everything else is the same. the part says that it is also applicable to the 4k and coupe (non-quattro). so it should be right. i don't want it to raise the ride hight. the new ones are sachs and the old ones are boge.

is this really going to matter? maybe i need to go with boge instead? but that's waiting for parts again. and these are supposed to be higher performance.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

sachs = boge.. got bought out i believe, but its just a name change.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can you get a small cutter like a dremel in there?
Old 10-29-2007, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ran into a similar problem with my cgt.

I was able to lift up the parcel shelf and hit it with an air gun. My problem was that the shock was spinning in place. Had a buddy grab the shock with some vice grips and the bolt spun right off.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default On the URQ, you take the back deck out to get at the shocks..

On the URQ, you take the back deck (where the speakers mount) out to get at the shock nuts from above.

Would taking out the rear deck work to get an air gun (maybe with an extension?) in on the coupe too?

(Of course, you have to take the seat out to take out the seat back out to get the rear deck out! BUt that's only the work of but a few minutes..)

Quick Reply: help!!!! replacing rear shocks on 84 cgt.........