Hold on to your seats, new upholstery fabric avialable from Audi Germany

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is that kind of a brown color with a brown dash? i can't really tell if from the pic. if it is, i'm looking for the same.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Rockin Ronnie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 84gtguy
is that kind of a brown color with a brown dash? i can't really tell if from the pic. if it is, i'm looking for the same.
I can see why you say that. Actually the dash is black. The second photo of the front seat that I posted appears to me to be more true to the exact colour.It is definitely greyish.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rockin Ronnie
The exterior is Surinam red. There is a tweed fabric on the seat bottom and back and a unified colour on the bolsters, side pieces and back. I am guessing Karo-tweed Negro on the seat cushion and back and Kari-tweed Uni for the other pieces, but I could be wrong.

Assuming I find out what fabric I need, how much of each type do I need? Each piece is 160 X 60cm. Simply put, how much fabric would I need to cover the both front seats, I am leaving the rear as is?

Ron

Hi Ron,

You have the same fabric that my '82 Coupe has. The color is Karo-Tweed Quarz and Karo-Tweed Quarz Uni.

160cm. X 50cm. = 64" X 20" = 1280 sq. inches per piece.

According to my calculations, each seat is roughly 2100 sq. inches. You'll therefore need 2 pieces of each color in order to cover both front seats. Any leftover material can be used to patch repair the rear bench seat.

Best of luck,

Bob
Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Rockin Ronnie

That is very helpful Bob. I think I would be safe in ordering two of each as you suggest. If need be I could order more. I have an upholsterer lined up.

Can we compare notes on our two Audis? I am in the process of renewing/reconditioning/restoring the car; getting it back to its original condition.

Ron

Last edited by Rockin Ronnie; 04-25-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That is very helpful Bob. I think I would be safe in ordering two of each as you suggest. If need be I could order more. I have an upholsterer lined up.

Can we compare notes on our two Audis? I am in the process of renewing/reconditioning/restoring the car; getting it back to its original condition.

Ron
I'm also in the process of having the interior front seats re-covered. Ordered the fabric from Audi (thanks for the tip) and should get the stuff tomorrow. What's your seat guy going to charge for the work? Have you seen his work before you place your seats in his hands?

Yes, getting the car back to it's original condition is a top priority.

So far I've had the timing belt, water pump, front seals and valve cover gasket replaced. New Cat. and rear resonator were recently done. Plan on doing the rear drum brakes, horn, and rear suspension soon.

Where are you at with yours?

Bob
Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Rockin Ronnie

Good questions Bob. I have spoken to the upholsterer who has a good reputation for automotive seat upholstery but will ask that very question the next time I see him; that is can I see an example of your work(?).

After having replaced the battery this past fall I am in the process of costing out replacement parts from a number of suppliers, notably audipartx.com, blauparts, germanautoparts.com and so on. Right now it starts on the first turn or two, which is good. And its rust free!

The plan is to address all the tune-up parts first; plugs, distributor cap, wires, etc. to get it roadworthy enough to see what else needs to be done. Right now I only have comprehensive insurance which is only good for a parked car so, more insurance is in order. Next I need it safetied but I think it should pass easily (no requirement in Nova Scotia for emissions testing). After that, windshield washer pump, front seals, AC, water pump, valve gasket and I know the brakes, front and back need to be done as well.

Actually my son is pressuring me to get this car back on the road and used as it should be; a touring car.

Ron
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 AM
Rockin Ronnie

Just got an email from Audi Tradition this morning and after sending them the VIN number they indicated to me that the VIN does not have the colour code. Where on the frame might I find the colour code? They tell me that if it is "KC" the fabric is "negro". And it might be.

Ron

Last edited by Rockin Ronnie; 04-27-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just got an email from Audi Tradition this morning and after sending them the VIN number they indicated to me that the VIN does not have the colour code. Where on the frame might I find the colour code? They tell me that if it is "KC" the fabric is "negro". And it might be.

Ron
Mine has "KA" as the color code found on a label under the trunk lid. When comparing my seat fabric color and pattern on the Audi Traditions site, the Karo Tweed Quarz and Uni comes closest to what I have. It's hard to judge though, since your only looking at a pic which
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

continued....

which is rather dark. I'm going with the lighter Quarz. Hopefully the Negro is what you have. Still waiting for the delivery. Will let you know how it turns out.

Bob
Old 04-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Rockin Ronnie

I confirmed with Audi tradition. The paint code is found on the underside of the trunk lid. It is "KC" which is indeed "Negro".

A rep from Audi tradition caught my Flickr posting (not sure how) and wanted to confirm the fabric before sending it. I am glad they did. Apparently the VIN number of that age of Audi does not capture the paint & fabric codes.

Ron

Quick Reply: Hold on to your seats, new upholstery fabric avialable from Audi Germany