Homemade cold air intake for Coupe GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homemade cold air intake for Coupe GT?

Okay folks, I've been a Honda guy for quite some time now and the number one performance upgrade that seems to be at the top of the list for every naturally aspirated Honda has always been a cold air intake, or at least a better intake that forgoes the air resonator box and includes a high-flow air filter.

Anywho, since pre-constructed cold air intakes aren't exactly readily available for an Audi Coupe GT as they are for say a Honda Civic or something, I'm trying to concoct a homemade cold air intake system of my own. Looks pretty easy to do, but I was curious if anyone else had done this already and had some suggestions.

What I'm stumped on at the moment is what I should use as piping between the intake manifold and the air filter. The throttle body is of course, a weird retangular-oval shape, and I can't exactly find a lot of piping or hoses, aside from stock Audi hoses, that seem to be able conform to odd shape of the throttle body. I was thinking of somehow splicing some piping onto the stock intake hose, but I'm really not sure just yet.

If anyone has already made an intake system similar to what I've been rambling on about, has any suggestions, or knows where I could buy one (yeah, yeah, I know, doing it yourself is half the fun) please let me know. Thanks a bunch, folks.
Old 07-25-2001, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It's not possible.

Y'know that strange little contraption that's sitting on top of the panel air filter? That's pretty much the heart of the fuel injection system, and all components need to be intact for it to work properly. There's an airflow sensor plate under it that will only function properly with the stock setup, because of the fuel distributor that's right next to that rubber bagel-looking boot on top of the airbox. This is why you never see them for sale. The best thing you can hope for as far as "cold-air induction" is to drill holes in or cut out part of the factory airbox, which will pretty much just make it loud. Besides, CIS cars flow as much air as a street engine will ever need, so all you really need to do is drop in a K&N panel filter.
Old 07-25-2001, 11:51 PM

Default Aw nuts!

Fuel injection system, huh? I was wondering about that. Oh well, I suppose I'll just hafta pick up a K&N filter then. Hehe, these crazy, mixed-up Audis...
Old 07-26-2001, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yeah, they are kinda different....you definitely aren't in Honda-land anymore.

That injection system was pretty widely used on a lot of European cars in different iterations from the late '60s until the early '90s. It's a great system, but can be really finicky if not properly taken care of. Your best bet is to get a copy of a book called "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management" from Bentley Publishers. It gives a great in-depth explanation of CIS, with plenty of diagrams. I know Books-A-Million sells them, and I'm sure you can order them from other places. It's pretty much the bible for European fuel injection.
Old 07-26-2001, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Yeah, they are kinda different....you definitely aren't in Honda-land anymore.

Thanx, will do. Can you recommend a good general service manual as well? I need to get a service manual as it is, because some of the stuff in this thing just blows my mind. Sooooooo much different than Honda. Heck, I'm still scratching my head as to why I have 5 cyclinders instead of 4 or 6. Hehe.
Old 07-26-2001, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Bentley publishers - For all your European repair/reference manual needs!

Their official site is www.rb.com, but you can get them cheaper. Check www.bimmerparts.com. That's the cheapest I've found. It'll set you back about 80 bucks, but it's WELL worth it. And, you have 5 cylinders because even numbers are boring! The 5 is a pretty good balance of both worlds, with good power delivery across the board, not really peaky anywhere. I like it.