how to adjust idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks for the info, i have heard a bit about the hall sender and am thinking about it now, because it sounds plausable. anyway i just had my friend over and i was showing him the audi and i told him that it wasnt operational, and he insisted that i start it or try and i gave the engine a turn and it started for half a second then died. later i connected 12 volts to the ISV and fuel made it to the motor and i fired it up and it went, idling at about 600rpm until i gave it a little gas and it died

after that there was again no fuel even when i tried the isv...and that always works for me.

fuel pump works great, 3 days ago i patched the intake boot and it ran amazingly, dad had taken it up the road and he said it was really good to.

a day later we "had" to move the car but the tank was at the end of the reserve marker, cold start was perfect, ran good again but second i stopped the car it just died, probably because of the low fuel...you think the lines are clogged? hasnt worked scince it ran out of gas. just had more fuel put in it too
Old 09-14-2010, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

and yeah i think its cool that im starting young too, not just because i have a car but that its an Audi with a 5 cylinder and that i get experience as i age.

here is the simple facts

car ran absolutely shotty for 2 years

patched some leaks fidled with some switches, ran amazingly

a day later dodge truck got a sticky valve and had to be fixed involving the Audi to be moved to another spot

fuel was very low but working space was needed

dad tested the brakes (full stopping power) and the car came to a sudden stop most likely sloshing fuel away from the pump and starving the motor

shut down, wont start, and put in new gas

still no go, fuel pump was tested, works great. also the car is on a slight angle (nose down)

after attempting to start with no success i try again a day later, it seems after a while some fuel eventually got to the engine and started up for 5 seconds, after that fuel was spent, no go

clogged line? hall sender? what idk...was just hopeing to adjust my timing and change the idle
Old 09-14-2010, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have run into problems where I either ran out of gas or got really low and it would clog the fuel filter. If you want to try replacing it, it's Fram G3746. But you can just pull it off and blow it out the opposite way it would flow. You should get a bunch of nasty brown junk coming out of it. If that works then I would definitely replace the filter as soon as you can.

Have you disconnected the fuel pump outlet to see if it squirts while someone cranks the engine? If you're getting fuel there but not at the fuel distributor then it's definitely something in the lines.

-Rog
Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

i think it would be the lines, like i said the fuel pump definately works good and there was no fuel at the distributor, and also after a couple hours of sitting some fuel had made it to the distributor. and when i say some i mean maybe a large spoonfull.

what do i have to do to check the filter? im just wondering if it is difficult because im almost sure its clogged
Old 09-15-2010, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's not hard, you just need a few wrenches and something to catch the extra fuel if you don't want to make a mess.

As you can see you'll need a few different sizes to get it off. I forget what they are, but they're in the 14-17mm range. It's never too early to start collecting lots of tools.

The top connection in the picture needs one wrench on the nut-shaped protrusion on the filter itself, plus one for the brass connector. The bottom one should just take one wrench, but there's another spot to put a large wrench (22mm I think) if you need it.

Oh, and it also should have a hose clamp-like bracket holding it on the car.

Anyway, once you get it off, it should have an arrow indicating which way it flows. Just blow air into it going the opposite direction.

If the car has a lot of junk in the tank it would be worth it to pull the tank and rinse it out with some gas. That beats getting the whole system clogged over and over.

Alternatively you could try some Gumout All-In-One, which does get rid of some rust and corrosion in the fuel system. It's basically a milder version of Seafoam. But you'd need at least a half tank of gas to do that, and then drive it like schnell to blast that stuff out of there. Might not be possible if the car isn't mobile though.

-Rog
Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks again, you have been lots of help. and i know what you mean, i allready have a tone of craftsman wrenches and screw drivers, plus a whole case of sockets, im loaded with tools

and currently the car is not insured so it would be illeagal to take it for a spin, but the car was running absolutely spectacularly 4 days ago

i think im just going to attempt to take off my filter and clean it until i can locate a new one

any other simple things i could do to may car to boost performance or working quality?
Old 09-16-2010, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No problem!

As far as performance, there's really not a lot that can be done. Stuff like cold air intakes can actually make things worse on these engines. They're pretty well-designed for what they are. Their strong point is that they feel quick and the engines and transmissions are nearly indestructible.

At some point you might consider doing a turbo engine swap from a 5000 or 200. It's something I'm in the middle of at the moment. But I would never tell someone to dive into it unless they're comfortable doing that kind of job. It's also way more expensive than you'd think. I'd plan on at least $1000 for the engine, a few specialty tools, and a poor man's rebuild (top-end gaskets mostly).

-Rog
Old 09-16-2010, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

yeah my dad was considering getting me a turbo engine from a 5000, there are so many 5000's around here, heck theres a grade 12 at my school with one.

and i know what you mean by "they feel quick" my car manual says it does 0-60 in 12.9 seconds but when my dad took it for a drive he said it felt like 0-60 in half that also im alowed to drive it on the driveway and the gas is reall sensitive. its a nice car, it has some good problems but i really like it and i would never sell it
Old 09-20-2010, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

jeeeeze! i just called Napa auto parts and asked for the fuel filter you pointed out and they want 48 dollars! i was told by several people that they were like 5 bucks!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I would be willing to bet that Napa doesn't carry it in stock, and if they have to order something they tack on a shipping charge rather than it being free like most other places. Plus they seem to be kind of expensive anyway.

If you can find something else you need for a couple bucks (to get free shipping) it's much cheaper on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/FRAM-G3746-In-...5033752&sr=8-1

-Rog

Quick Reply: how to adjust idle