how to adjust idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, i recently charged my battery to full and tried the ignition but still a distinctive click can be heard from the starter so im sure its broken.

but stil read the info about the starter from my previous post
Old 01-09-2011, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While you're under there, give the big part of the starter case a couple of wacks with a big hammer to loosen things up. Sometimes this is enough to get it going.

Also, while under there, jump terminal 50 (small plug on terminal to ignition switch) to + (screw-on cable that goes to + battery). See if starter does its thing.

If that works, electrical portion of ignition switch (under key cylinder) may be going or giving poor contact. Look at all connections, starter, battery, etc. You may be loosing power in the starting circuit.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok i gave the starter a few good hits with a fair size hammer and i went to start the car and it just made a louder clunk...

now im off to try playing with the wires like you said.

also im going to start looking for a new starter motor just in case
Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey everyone, ive been busy at school. its spring break for me at the moment so im back to working on the car rain or shine.

i have filmed a couple clips of me "attempting" to start the car, and the sound it makes when i turn the key to the "starter on position"

so please check out this post in the next day or so for the video. i will post it as soon as possible
Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Everyone, i need your attention !

i cant find the proper part number for a starter motor.

if someone knows the correct part number leave a comment

its a 1987 Audi 4000s

2.2 litre 5 cylinder

3 speed automatic

and i would prefer if it was a bosch part
Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm pretty sure that's not a combo we got in the states (4000s 5-cylinder with auto), which could explain the difficulty. But pretty much all Audi fives, from the KX to JT to the turbos, take the same starter. If you want Bosch it would be SR10X. you can get it cheapest probably from AutohausAZ. Another option would be Beck Arnley 1870279. I like their products myself. Bosch can be a little pricey, though good quality of course.

-Rog
Old 03-20-2011, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for the reply rog, the forums arent so active recently.

how has your dash gauge project been comming along?

and also do "you" personally remove the lower sub frame when replacing your starter motors?

i was not sure if there was an easier way to get at the starter without unbolting it. also its quite difficult as i do everything myself, and lifting the subframe by hand and wrenching it back in place with the other is very difficult.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The activity definitely comes and goes around here. I should be starting up my 4kq turbo project again soon, although I unfortunately lost my dad in January, and he was the real mechanic. So it'll be sink or swim for me on the project.

I also got a '78 Audi Fox that I've been working on a little.

I've never actually thought of removing the subframe to get the starter off, although I've only done it on manual cars so there could very well be something different on the automatics. I know I've done it with the subframe in though because the bolts that hold the starter on are taken out when you pull the engine, which I did on the turbo project. If I remember tomorrow I'll take a look and see if I can recall the easiest route.

-Rog
Old 03-22-2011, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry about your dad, i can see that being a setback. my dad has gone to work across the country and i never see him anymore. he also was the real mechanic at the house.

anyway away from the emotional stuff

i never thought of the difference between standard and automatic. on my Audi i have no room to move my hands (even with the front raised on jacks)

#1 the subframe is right below the starter and makes it impossible to get any sort of wrench or socket in there

#2 the exauhst pipe runs down from the manifold and blocks your way around behind the starter

and finnaly their is a good sized heat shield for the front right driveshaft that gets in the way aswell.

also that stupid double trumpet "flamm" horn keeps hitting my head haha

i like the idea of your Audi fox, ive heard of them but long to see one alive here on the island. i have one of the oldest Audi dealers in canada its been around scince the 50's and my uncle bought a fox and then my 4000 which was passed down to me