How do I enter the radio code?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 06:47 PM
DWP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I enter the radio code?

Does any one know the procedure to input the radio code for a 1987 4KQ? I have the code but lost the radio pamphlet. Radio has a VW logo on it, but local VW dealer is no help. Car was originally purchased in Canada, if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-23-2002, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default turn it on quickly hold down am/fm button, and whatever button is on the far right of that set. 0000

will pop up and enter #s by radio presets. colum by colum decimal notation. try it, it has been a long time for me to remember though.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do I enter the radio code?

"Radio has a VW logo on it, but local VW dealer is no help."

It depends on what model radio you have. I have a SC 88A and all you do is turn it on and "CODE" is displayed. Touch the first preset key and it allows you to enter the code. Presets 1-4 respond to the different digits preset 5 is used to tell radio you are done.

I also have a model from a 98 Jetta. There you hold either the MODE and SCAN buttons or the MIX and REP buttomns for 5 seconds and it allows you to enter your code similar to above, but then you have to hold the same two keys as before to tell the radio you are done. This model only allows you 2 or 3 chances before it locks up. Then I was told you had to wait and hour.

I also have a model from a 96 passat. Again it is a combination of two buttons you push and hold for 5 seconds. Then you are allowed to enter the code and when finished you press the same button combination for 5 seconds. I have an idea you hold the SCAN and SEEK buttons or SCAN and MODE buttons. This is the radio that I put in my 4kQ and sounds a lot better than the original, but it blew the front speakers right away and they are no fun to remove without destroying the dash.

BTW I had to go to the service counter to get help on my radios, remember service has to know how they work as they pull the power in the cars and have to return them to customers. Customers don't expect the cars to be returned without a functioning radio (entering the radio code is part of the service package where I am).

Anymore questions email me.