how do you remove the front speakers 4000Q?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you remove the front speakers 4000Q?

Do you need to unscrew or unbolt them from underneath? or do they just pry up and snap out from on top somehow? photos?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi figured that their customers wouldnt bother instal aftermarket speakers in the vehicles lifetime, so they made it quite annoying to get them out.

Here is a simple step by step list.

1-begin at the driver side. unscrew the few bolts holding the lower dashboard segment. its the piece with the open cubby.

2-when the lower dash is removed, push out the detacheable heater tubing. a small curved piece with the vent built into it will come out towards the driver seat.

3-you should now be able to access the bottom of the speakers. Two bolts will be visible holding it down.

4-unscrew the two bolts and push up on the speaker. (remove the metal grille on top)

5-unplug the the two connections for power. drop in the new speaker.

Thats it for the driver side. re-assemble

The passenger side is a bit more annoying.

1-open the glovebox. Unscrew all the bolts that hold the glovebox from the inside. there should be about 4 located on the walls of the glovebox's inside

2-remove the clamp device that holds the glovbox door shut. it is also a bracket that holds the glovebox light.

3-two more screws on the far right of the glovebox at the top will need to be undone. The glovebox should then slide down off of a metal bracket.

4-your glovebox should now be dangling from a large bundle of wires. For your information, thats were the ECU is connected.

5-like before, push out the little curved piece of heater tubing out and towards the driver.

6-the same type of assembly will be holding the speaker in place (just like the driver side) take out the old speaker and drop in the new one.

7-re-assemble.

If you have any other questions please ask them. dont let all thses steps hinder your will!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

anyone know of any sweet deals on speakers right now? all of mine are toast.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

i think you can get some nice JBL's for cheap right now. i have 3 JBL GT 302's . one in the front left, two in the back. i ruined the front right so i have the factory blaupunkt there instead.

i also have two pioneer 3 way bass speakers set up in the back too. adds some extra thump to the music. i couldnt afford an amp and a subwoofer...

Sony im sure will have some nice deals going on. they make good speakers, i want bang and olufsen!
Old 04-22-2012, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice thanks! need to get on that soon, they sound worse every day
Old 04-22-2012, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just ordered these. great reviews on their sound quality, and supposed to fit VW / audi dash location well. dirt cheap too right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

I have a pair of ALPINE SPR-60 6.5" 2-WAY's I will make fit in the back to go with them. Those Alpine's are also very highly rated at the car audio sites, and are a bargain compared to similar quality speakers.

http://www.bestcovery.com/alpine-spr...axial-speakers
Old 05-20-2012, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Think I might try these out:
http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-LS328-3...p_ob_e_title_1

A little cheaper and they would have a hard time sounding worse than the OG's in there now
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

when I got the old speaker out, I found out some 4 inch Alpines I took out of another car fit in there,so I ended up using them.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I haven’t taken my front speakers out yet and want to order before I do. Are there clearance issues with too large/deep of a magnet and issues with a tweeter protruding too high for cover?

85 GT