i found a broken wire at the starter solenoid.. its black.. a ground?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i found a broken wire at the starter solenoid.. its black.. a ground?

it was on the lower post, i can't tell if it was cut or broken, it feels very soft and corroded, so maybe broken.. and it looks like its in the factory harness... but my car had an aftermarket alarm system at one point, which was later disabled, so i was thinking it might be that.. i dont have my bentley with me at school, so i cant figure anything out.. anyone know what it is?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No "grounds" as such at the starter...

No "grounds" as such at the starter, as it grounds through it's case to the motor/transmission.

If it's one of the two small wires going to the solenoid:

One wire comes FROM the ign switch, and tells the starter to crank. If that were broken, you'd know pretty quickly as you'd get no cranking.

The other wire goes live when the solenoid pulls in, and FEEDS the cold start sensor (and also the ECU for some reason). It tells the cold start sensor (and ECU) that the starter is cranking.

It's set up to send power to the cold start valve only when cranking, to prevent the cold start valve from spraying into a motor that isn't turning over.

If that wire is toast, you may not notice anything for quite a while. Or at least until you go to investigate hard starting when really cold out.. :-)
Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ah HA!.. i had a hunch that was what it was.. my cold start system is DEAD.. as usual.. thanks frank
Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default patched up the wire, car started up after first crank after sitting for 2 days in freezing weather..

finallly i dont have to crank cold with no oil pressure and kill my starter.. now i think i also have an issue with my fuel pump relay not priming.. would that also affect starting due to lower fuel pressure than it would be with a prime?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No 'prime'?

Yea! Starting is good!

This 'prime' business seems a bit 'odd'.

Realistically, how long do you think it takes the pump to pump up to regulator pressure?

I'd say you will have full fuel pressure almost instantly once the pump kicks on. Remember that the pump pumps way more fuel than you use, and returns most of it (as excess) back to the tank. SO if you are not getting enough fuel right when the pump comes on, you're probably not going to be getting enough fuel when running. And between the check valve, and the accumulator, fuel pressure shold hold between the 'prime' and actual cranking. The Bently spec for fuel pressure holding time is ~20 minutes or something like that.. ??

If you have no 'priming' action from the oump when you turn on the ignition, it's probably something to do with the relay.

I've had FP relays the never 'primed' when you turned on the ignitiopn, but ohterwise worked ok once the motor was cranking.

For while, before it died comepletly.. :-)

So if not getting any priming when ign on, I'd be wondering about the relay. If it's a starting issue, maybe try jumpering the pump on hard, and see if that makes a differance?

If just 'it's not priming, but otherwise works', maybe time to start looking for another relay? :-)
Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yea, i don't notice anything bad, its fine when running, just doesn't prime..

so i was wondering IF that could be hurting me.. after say 2 days of sitting, and having to build up pressure, i have some relays laying around, i guess i'll just throw some in there
Old 12-10-2007, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I learn something everyday.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: yea, i don't notice anything bad

Well, if you have no problem, you have no problem, right? :-)

Even after sititng a few days, the pump will build pressure pretty well instantly.

Me, I'd worry more about the realy maybe going flakey/bad. Especailly if the realy *did* get the pump to prime at one time in the past...