I hate Vacumn lines...ahg insight needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate Vacumn lines...ahg insight needed

I am in the process of Re-installing the differential locks and making my 3-gauges functional, so now I have a few questions

1. The gauges are a wiring nightmare, were the diff. locks/gauges optional?
2. which came standard?
3. Was the wiring/vacumn lines for BOTH present from the factory for a 4kq?
I was playing with the lockers and started replacing the vac line, and found that I can get the center/front lock indicator light to turn on, but even though I tried actuating the rear by hand I couldnt get the light to turn on. I know its not the light because I wired in LEDs,
4. Does the rear locker require adjustment or could the switch be faulty?
and the biggest one of all, Im no expert, but those lockers will require a pretty hefty vacumn to move the switch, and with the lines there is hardly any pull.
and with some more digging around inside the engine compartment, the vacumn advance on the distributor is unhooked, along with multiple other vac lines, but the engine still runs fairly strongly, and these lines also have almost no pull.
5. So why aren't my Vacumn lines vacumning?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some answers

1 & 2. All 4000 quattro's had the differential locks standard. The 4000's and Coupe GT's had the 3 analog gauges standard. Some Coupe GT's came with "electronic" volt and oil temp gauges, basically the 4kq differential lock panel minus the differential lock ****. I do not know if the electronic gauges in the Coupe GT were an option, or only certain years got them.

3. When I deleted my diff lock panel I had the wire colors from somebody that made installing them a real breeze. I had to do my own wiring for the oil pressure gauge though, and at that time I deleted the oil pressure buzzer. CGTBrad did this analog gauge swap and had to do the same thing, otherwise the buzzer would go off while driving. So, if you wanted to do the analog gauge swap the only wiring you would have to do is from the oil pressure sender to the gauge. The other wires (volt and oil temp) are already present, since the stock 4kq gauges have volt and oil temp.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Some answersCheck for vac leaks elsewhere.

Door locks system, small leaks under the hood. All those could be the culprit.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 AM

Default The vac system is a closed system. Seems like they all need to be connected to get vac.

Also, did you remove the vac reservoir?

Have you tested the thermo pneumatic valve on the side of the head (if you have one).
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default reservoir is as it should be, lines are disconnected all over....

To illustrate how weak the vacumn is, It hardly budges the standing tip if a human hair.

Is the Thermo Pneumatic valve the Circular valve that sits next to the battery? If so...Its all on its own. On passage is blocked off with felt, the other the nipple or whatever fell off years ago.