instrument cluster lighting

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster lighting

ive noticed that since i rewired my cars entire instrument cluster to normal, i have all my instrument lights working again. Even after i rewired everything, i noticed my speedo and tachometer did not light up. Well, i found out they do work. only the factory bulbs inside are extremely dim.

what would be the easiest way to make the instrument cluster bright red and easy to see. Somthing i could easily do by going to a electronics or autoparts place.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The gauge lighting on these suu-hucks. I don't know if they changed it later at all, but on my '84 it was just two blulbs that shine into a clear plastic rod that's supposed to diffuse the light. When my mom had it she kept a small flashlight in the car so she could see the speedometer at night.

When I got it I decided to hell with that and found a small neon tube that fit perfectly up where the original plastic rod was. You can find them it lots of different colors, so that would be my suggestion unless they changed the design later on. I haven't driven my '85 at night, so I can't comment on if they improved it or not. But I suspect not.

There really isn't a way to light them from the back, and there's no room at the bottom, so whatever you decide will probably have to go at the top.

-Rog
Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

thanks for the reply, it is the same as what you described, two clear tubes that lead in from the side. The bulbs are a small twist on kind that have a blue base. Mine are so dim you can barely see them in pitch black night.

I have heard of people buying L.E.D replacements that do the job, but all the forums i have read dont get to the point i want "do they actually work"

so here i am, with my 4000S and no lighting on the speedo, its not safe to drive at night really and i would really like to have them working again.

These neon tubes? how do you hook them up to power? and do they make the dash lights nice and red and puurdy?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, if you got an orange or red tube it will light up the whole cluster. If you find it's too bright you could wrap it with a piece of window tint film. They are really bright, I'll warn you. The smaller the better.

If you get either one made to install inside a computer or one made for the car it'll hook directly up to 12v. I think I tapped into some other light that comes on with the headlights. The climate controls light maybe? Anyway, that part is pretty easy, just find a wire that gives 12v only when the headlights are on. You just don't want to hook it up to the interior lights dimmer because neon doesn't like that.

Another idea would be to install a couple of LED bulbs somewhere at the top. They'll give you enough light but it won't be as even.

-Rog
Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

sounds good, i like the idea of bright. These neon lights, were do you suspect i would get them?

here's a list of stores i have around were i live.

-walmart
-the source(radioshack)
-lordco autoparts
-duncan autoparts
-tinkers computers (becuase you mentioned computer installed neons)
-superstore (like walmart)
and a few other little computer places around

If you have an idea of what store they might be at, just let me know. ill call around. I like the idea of them
Old 04-06-2012, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Any place that has a "cheap flashy stuff makes it go fast" section, like where they have anodized universal shift ***** (the ones that never stay on), fake carbon fiber stuff, and the like. I think I got mine at either a chain parts store or Walmart. You can also get them on eBay, like this one. Lastly, most computer places that have customizing accessories will probably have them, though they might be a bit longer.

-Rog
Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

"cheap flashy stuff makes it go fast" section...that gave me a good laugh. i immediatly knew what you were talking about.

I guess im going to go to walmart, or maybe canadian tire. that place has a pretty big isle full of "cheap flashy stuff makes it go fast" Alot of fancy LED lights and things too. If i cant find the neon lights im going to go LED if thats any easier to come by.

anyway, ill keep you posted on what i find, tomorrow im going to open up the instrument cluster and get at those wires. Currently they are all done up with duct tape, and that really sucks and looks really "jimmy rigged"

everything connected to the headlight switch is what im worried about. I have male and female wire connectors im going to end up using.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audi-driver1126
thanks for the reply, it is the same as what you described, two clear tubes that lead in from the side. The bulbs are a small twist on kind that have a blue base. Mine are so dim you can barely see them in pitch black night.

I have heard of people buying L.E.D replacements that do the job, but all the forums i have read dont get to the point i want "do they actually work"

so here i am, with my 4000S and no lighting on the speedo, its not safe to drive at night really and i would really like to have them working again.

These neon tubes? how do you hook them up to power? and do they make the dash lights nice and red and puurdy?
I put white LED lights shining into that plastic crap that is supposed to disperse the light. It worked pretty well once I figured out where to wire them in. And you have to aim them properly at the plastic thing, since there is no easy way to get them in that right spot the bulbs went. I didn't want anything flashy. Just a brighter white, instead of that dim yellow. Plus it was only around $5 since I bought the LEDs and resistors at radioshack.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi guys
i will suggest you are visit http://www.autoparts-bazaar.com/head...d-lighting.php
and choose different types of audi instrument cluster lighting part and accessories
this is better option to choose your own likely audi car and his accessories

[URL="http://www.autoparts-bazaar.com/headlights-and-lighting.php"