Let the repairs/fixes/mods begin!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let the repairs/fixes/mods begin!

Today I put in a new voltage regulator in the cluster (gas/temp gauges <i>worked</i> very intermittantly), put on the Bosch ICON wipers I had (same size as the B4/right direction too [ICON wipers are "aero" wipers and are directional]), lubed the sunroof, and put in a spare '96 A4 shift **** I had (the stock wood one's plastic screw-on insert had come loose from the **** so it just spun freely)...

On the plus side, the wiring behind the cluster and such looks to be in excellent shape...I had a few people tell me (and I think I read in the archives here too) about how that wiring can be a mess!

I'm gonna go to my local yard here...they have a bunch of Audis...don't know if they have any 4ks as I was usually there for B3 parts.

I don't have a repair manual yet, but, how do you get behind the aux. gauges/diff lock panel? Those lights come on and off when you go over bumps...wanna try and fix that up.

Oh and also, sometimes the rear right window switch (on the door) works, some times it doesn't, the one up front never works for that window. Where should I start to look?

The rear left doesn't work from either switch...so thoughts on that too?

Both fronts work excellent...maybe even faster/smoother than my '88 B3!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differential lock panel

2 screws hold this thing on, but they are hidden behind the console. Remove the ashtray, remove the 2 screws there, then look by the ebrake, there are 2 more screws, and one on each side (by the drivers and passengers seat). Pop off the **** for the heater controls, as well as the sliders for the vents and such. Pry off the heater control panel. There are screws somewhere up near there, but my tabs were broken. Also, push "in" the window switches to pup them out of place. At this point you should be able to remove, or at least move the panel around to gain access to the 2 screws that hold the diff lock panel on. Should take about 5 minutes or so.
As for the window switches, they are a common failure, replace the front switch, the rear switch may be starting to go as well.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Awesomeness! This forum is awesome...a lot less traffic...

...and so far everyone's been real friendly!

Thanks! )
Old 04-13-2006, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My theory is less traffic because everyone knows their stuff and don't ask moronic questions.....

also anyone that wants to drive a 20 year old car has to be a enthusiast! Weeds out the punks that flock to the newer forums. Good for us =)
Old 04-13-2006, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I try not to...but this 4k is a bit different from B3s &amp; B4s...
Old 04-13-2006, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was going more along the lines of "will these 18" chrome rims fit my 4000" ;-)

the questions asked here are about the cars and not fluff to make them look stupid. =)
Old 04-13-2006, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ah, got'cha... ;o) Well, will they?

I'm thinking once I get the suspension sorted out, maybe a nice set of 15 or 16s...we shall see...
Old 04-13-2006, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Did you keep the 16's from your 90? I think they'd look pretty sweet on a 4k!
Old 04-13-2006, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nope...I didn't. Only extra set of wheels I have are 14" BBS mesh wheels from a B3 90q...
Old 04-13-2006, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We're all here to help :)

If somebody is quite enthusiastic about their Audi, I love to help. Even if they arent and Im able to help, its still a good feeling. The more of these cars that stay on the road the better!
Plus, since I personally know the owner of your old B4, its even cooler!

Quick Reply: Let the repairs/fixes/mods begin!